Immigration, Refugees, and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) released new data showing 374, 554 permanent residents (PR) transitioned to Canadian citizens in 2022. Earlier, an internal memo recommended that IRCC process a total of 285,000 decisions and 300,000 new citizens by March 31, 2023. A decision is a review of an application that is then approved, denied, or marked as incomplete.
Canada has achieved its overwhelming targets, especially when the country is aiming to welcome over 1.45 new immigrants over the next three years. While Canada PR holders enjoy the same rights and constitutional protections that exist for citizens, they are barred from –
- casting their right to vote or contest in any government elections within Canada
- from holding a high-level government post.
Transitioning to a Canadian citizen can help you truly contribute to society. Also, it is becoming more prestigious as Henley Passport Index 2023 ranks Canada in the eighth position among the world’s strongest passports. Interestingly, another major immigration destination, Australia shares the same eighth position in the index.
Take this free assessment online to determine your eligibility for immigration.
How to Qualify for Canadian Citizenship?
Once you have decided to immigrate to Canada, here is how you can qualify for Canadian citizenship:
- Determine your eligibility by taking the online assessment
- Apply directly Canada PR visa based on work experience and academic profile.
- Express Entry programs like Federal Skilled Worker Program are specially designed for direct PR entry.
- Other programs like Canada Experience Class, and Provincial Nominee Programs require prior Canadian experience to qualify. There are 100+ federal and provincial programs to invite economic-class & family-class immigrants.
- Further, you must fulfill the criteria for citizenship through naturalization which is 1,095 days out of the 5 years on a Canada PR visa.
- Upon passing the Canadian citizenship test, all approved applicants take the oath of citizenship, either in person or virtually.
You may enjoy reading our Updated Guide On How To Become A Canadian Citizen. Here we have detailed the residency requirements, language criteria, and test format.
The top ten countries from where the beneficiaries belonged included India, the Philippines, Syria, Pakistan, Iran, Nigeria, the People’s Republic of China, the United States of America, France, and Iraq.
If you are planning to move to Canada, book your free appointment with our immigration consultants to learn more about your eligibility for Canadian immigration, and determine your best chances of qualifying and eventually obtaining citizenship based on a case-to-case basis.