Engineers everywhere are in demand.Engineers are in high demand in Canada following the economic downfall caused by the pandemic
The median annual salary for engineers in Canada in 2021 is projected as $75,200. A report from Randstad Canada finds bottom 10% of engineers are expected to make $45,900 or less in a year, whereas the top 10% of earners can take home more than $104,500.
Whatsoever be the case, Canada remains appealing to global talent for easy immigration. In another survey, US employers have shown an increased willingness to expand to Canada in search of an immigrant talent pool.
Image: How Canadian Labour Market Forces Influence Immigration
In a study by Statistics Canada, immigration and Canadian employment rates and wages were compared from 2000 to 2019. The results are more than encouraging for prospective immigrants who wish to permanently settle in Canada.. Click here to know more.
If you’re an engineer with work experience in any discipline and are keen on experiencing better career growth and a high lifestyle, Canada is the country to work & settle.
Top 8 Engineering Jobs in Canada in 2021
The construction industry in Canada is now seen as an essential service in many provinces. Even though the Engineering & Construction industry is taking a hit, along with the oil and gas sector, the demand for jobs in Canada for engineers is likely to rise later this year & beyond.
With a Professional Engineer (P.Eng) certification under your belt, your employment prospects are excellent in Canada.The following is a brief overview of the top 8 jobs in Canada for engineers in 2021 that foreign workers should consider while immigrating.
|Civil Engineering Technician||Quality Assurance Technician|
|Engineering Manager||Industrial Engineer|
|Project Manager||Planning Co-ordinator|
|Blueprint Engineer||Director of Engineering|
- Civil Engineering Technician: “Civil engineering technician is a new entry on the 2021 edition of in-demand engineering jobs. Technicians in civil engineering assist engineers in a variety of fields, such as structural engineering, construction, environmental engineering, and transportation.
- Quality Assurance Technician: “Quality assurance technicians, also sometimes known as quality control technicians typically work in manufacturing and monitor manufacturing processes to ensure that the end product their employer produces meets a predetermined set of guidelines.”
- Engineering Manager: “Their role overlaps a lot with project engineering, in that they often oversee project requirements and execution. They also have a leadership role to play and are expected to supervise other engineers.”
- Industrial Engineer: “Industrial engineering is often used in fields such as manufacturing, energy, and IT, among many others. The broad applications of industrial engineering make it an adaptable speciality.”
In-Demand Skills & Certifications Required to Secure an Engineering Job in Canada in 2021
As in previous years, the most sought-after skills by employers in Canada are software skills used in the engineering field. What is most surprising is the ability to display proficiency in both English and French puts foreign-born engineers at an undue advantage.
|IN-DEMAND TECH SKILLS||IN-DEMAND IT CERTIFICATIONS|
|AutoCAD||Quality Assurance||Structural Engineering (SE)||Engineer in Training (EIT)|
|Instrumentation||Solidworks||Professional Engineer (P.Eng/PE)||Certified Engineering Technologist (C.Tech/CET)|
|Autodesk Revit||French bilingualism||Computer-Aided Design & Drafting (CADD)||Electronic Systems Technician (EST)|
To know more about current openings in Canada’s tech job market & your best immigration options to qualify, ask our consultants to guide you through.
Options for Engineers to Immigrate to Canada in 2021
Job opportunities for immigrant engineers in Canada may not be uniform throughout the territory. Regional differences will contribute to varying job market conditions depending on factors like:
- Geography (say, coastal regions of Canada may be best for marine engineers)
- Industry (say, the oil and gas industry has a heavy presence in Alberta)
- Ontario & British Columbia forms the IT hub of Canada and employs thousands of immigrant engineers every year.
You’ll likely find great engineering jobs in several Canadian cities with the right guidance and choice of cities. Canada also offers an exclusive engineering bridging program. Such programs are the most preferred way to transition your international experience/training and gain Canada-specific work experience.
Finding Engineering Job Outlook in Canada
Here is a useful resource, click on the link.
You can explore the trend analysis for Engineering jobs in Canada in 2021. You segregate and explore the market situation in Canada depending on occupation, wages, prospects. For instance, here is a detailed outlook of Software Developers in Canada, showing Job opportunities, Labour market conditions, Wage analysis, and more.
Canada Immigration Programs for Engineers
Canada is eyeing at welcoming nearly 1.2 million new immigrants in the next three years. Over 60% of the said target is expected to be achieved with the help of economic-class immigration programs. Some of the most prominent immigration pathways for foreign Engineers to immigrate to Canada in 2021 are as follows:
- British Columbia Tech Program
- Ontario Tech Pilot
- Alberta Express Entry stream
- Manitoba Skilled Workers Overseas stream
- Saskatchewan Occupation-In demand
- Other Provincial Nominee Programs (PNP) for Provincial Nominations.
- Express Entry System for Permanent Residency.
Foreign skilled workers even without any work experience inside Canada may stand a chance to qualify for permanent residency through the Express Entry system. It will depend upon their age, education, work experience outside Canada, and language proficiency in English or French.
In some other cases, specific provincial programs like British Columbia Tech Program, Ontario Tech Pilot. the Alberta Express Entry stream, Manitoba Skilled Workers Overseas, Saskatchewan Occupation-In demand stream picks eligible skilled workers to apply for provincial nomination. A provincial nomination will quicken your process of obtaining permanent residency.
Canada is a good choice not just for experienced professionals, but also for young international students planning to study abroad. The country is lauded world-over for its quality education and easier immigration policies. In fact, as per a report, over 30% of international students who got Canadian bachelor’s degrees and almost 50% of international students who graduated with master’s degrees became permanent residents (PR) within 10 years since they got their study permit.
CanApprove has been the regional leader in immigration and overseas education consultancy for over two decades. We can help you expedite your visa documentation process, career counselling, overseas education counselling, pre-departure & post-arrival immigration support, and much more.
Take this free assessment online to determine your best immigration option depending on your work profile.
Book your free appointment with our expert consultants today.