Spousal Open Work Permit: Your Sponsored Applicant Can Now Work in Canada

Spousal Open Work Permit: Your Sponsored Applicant Can Now Work in Canada

Immigration, Refugees, and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) welcomes about 80% of family class immigration target under the Spouses, Partners, and Children Sponsorship Program, or simply spousal sponsorship. The remaining 20% is under the Parents and Grandparents Program (PGP).

In 2023, Canada has set yet an ambitious target of 106,500 new applicants under family-class immigration programs like spousal open work permits, PGP, and super visas. 

Any permanent resident in Canada can sponsor their spouse for Canadian immigration. There is no minimum income cut-off for spousal immigration from Dubai. The threshold for minimum income is decided on a case-by-case basis. 

Canada offers a Spousal Open Work Permit (SOWP) to sponsored foreign nationals, letting them work for any employer and gain Canadian experience to eventually qualify for Canadian permanent residency. 

It is applicable in cases where both Canadian and sponsored foreign national are already in Canada and the process is usually referred to as inland spousal sponsorship. 

This blog discusses the eligibility, scope, and application process for spousal open work permits and spousal immigration from Dubai. 

Take this free assessment online to determine your chances of immigrating to Canada with your family.


How is Spousal Open Work Permit a Breakthrough for Canada PR Aspirants? 

One of the major benefits of obtaining a spousal open work permit is that it can lead to Canada permanent residency. 

As Immigration, Refugees, and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) takes upto 12 months to process the spousal sponsorship application, foreign nationals can utilize this time and work in Canada. 

Unlike other close work permit options in Canada, open work permits allow holders to work in any occupation for any employer in Canada. The employer is also relieved of the mandatory Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA) before hiring a SOWP holder. 

This gives a lot of time for spousal open work permit holders to gain at least one year of Canadian work experience. This is a necessary condition to qualify for Canada Experience Class under the Express Entry system for Canada PR. 

How to Apply for Spousal Open Work Permits?

IRCC allows eligible applicants to apply for a spousal open work permit online. 

Candidates can follow the below steps to get started: 

  • Step 1: Create or sign in to an online account with IRCC
  • Step 2: Answer the questions online to receive a Personalized Document Checklist
  • Step 3: Fill out the online application form
  • Select “Open Work Permit” to Q: What Type of Work Permit Are You Applying For?
  • Select “SCLPC OWP” in the “Job Title” Box
  • Select “Spouse and Common-Law Partner in Canada Pilot Program” in the “Brief Description of Duties” box
  • Step 4: Upload the required documents
  • Step 5: Submit the application

Visiting a Certified Immigration Consultant 

The above requirements can be overwhelming to follow and there are more to come. 

Visiting a certified immigration consultant can help you understand the documentation process better, if not have them do it on your behalf. 

CanApprove is duly registered and approved by the College for Immigration and Citizenship Consultants (CICC) to help prepare your application, provide error-free documentation, and respond on your behalf to the Canadian government. 

Book your free appointment with us to determine your eligibility based on your work & academic profile. 

2 thoughts on “Spousal Open Work Permit: Your Sponsored Applicant Can Now Work in Canada

  • Sandy
    Md Ruhel Miah says:

    Dear sir i’m Md Ruhel Miah From Bangladesh. I’m in Dubai. work – paint mason tails. Experience – 12 years. I’m very interested to work in Canada. I need work in Canada. Plz help me

    • Sandy

      Hi Ruhel,

      Please understand that we are not a job consultancy, our primary work processes include PR visa, Visit visa, Student visa, Open work permit visa, but we can help your in landing a job that is relevant to your profile. Please share your updated resume to enquiry@canapprove.ae or connect with us through WhatsApp. Our immigration coordinator is a click away. We are happy to help.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes:

<a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong>

Send Us An Enquiry

Enter your details below and we'll call you back when it suits you.

    [honeypot 953b1362b63bd3ecf68]

    Enquire Now Call Now