Engineers everywhere are in demand. Engineers in Canada are in immediate demand as the country is rebuilding its economy following the downfall due to the pandemic.
The median annual salary for engineers in Canada in 2021 is projected as $75,200. A report from Randstad Canada finds bottom 10% of engineers are expected to make $45,900 or less in a year, whereas the top 10% of earners can take home more than $104,500.
Whatsoever be the case, Canada remains appealing to global talent for easy immigration. In another survey, US employers have shown an increased willingness to expand to Canada in search of an immigrant talent pool.
Image: How Canadian Labour Market Forces Influence Immigration
Another study by Statistics Canada compared immigration and Canada employment rates and wages data between 2000 and 2019. The outcomes are more than encouraging for any prospective immigrants choosing to work and settle in Canada permanently. Click here to know more.
If you’re an engineer with work experience in any discipline and are keen on experiencing better career growth and a high lifestyle, Canada is the country to work & settle.
Top 8 Engineering Jobs in Canada in 2021
The construction industry in Canada is now seen as an essential service in many provinces. Even though the Engineering & Construction industry is taking a hit, along with the oil and gas sector, the demand for jobs in Canada for engineers is likely to rise later this year & beyond.
With a Professional Engineer (P.Eng) certification under your belt, your employment prospects are excellent in Canada. Here is a brief outlook on the top 8 demanding jobs for Engineers in Canada for foreign workers to consider while immigrating in 2021.
|Civil Engineering Technician||Quality Assurance Technician|
|Engineering Manager||Industrial Engineer|
|Project Manager||Project Co-ordinator|
|Project Engineer||Director of Engineering|
- Civil Engineering Technician: “Civil engineering technician is a new entry on the 2021 edition of in-demand engineering jobs. Civil engineering technicians provide support to engineers in a variety of fields such as structural engineering, construction, environmental engineering, and transportation, among others.”
- Quality Assurance Technician: “Quality assurance technicians, also sometimes known as quality control technicians typically work in manufacturing and monitor manufacturing processes to ensure that the end product their employer produces meets a predetermined set of guidelines.”
- Engineering Manager: “Their role overlaps a lot with project engineering, in that they often oversee project requirements and execution. However, they have an added leadership component to their role and are expected to supervise other engineers.”
- Industrial Engineer: “Industrial engineering is often used in fields such as manufacturing, energy, and IT, among many others. The broad applications of industrial engineering make it an adaptable specialty.”
In-Demand Skills & Certifications Required to Secure an Engineering Job in Canada in 2021
Following the previous years, the most sought-after skills by employers in Canada relate to software used in the engineering discipline. However, most surprising to note is the ability to display proficiency in both English and French puts immigrant engineers at an undue advantage in securing an engineering job in Canada.
When it comes to the most preferred skill certifications, buildings and infrastructure-related certifications can still secure an engineering job in Canada.
|IN-DEMAND TECH SKILLS||IN-DEMAND IT CERTIFICATIONS|
|AutoCAD||Quality Assurance||Structural Engineering (SE)||Engineer in Training (EIT)|
|Instrumentation||Solidworks||Professional Engineer (P.Eng/PE)||Certified Engineering Technologist (C.Tech/CET)|
|Autodesk Revit||French bilingualism||Computer-Aided Design & Drafting (CADD)||Electronic Systems Technician (EST)|
To know more about current openings in Canada’s tech job market & your best immigration options to qualify, ask our consultants to guide you through.
Options for Engineers to Immigrate to Canada in 2021
Job opportunities for immigrant engineers in Canada may not be uniform throughout the territory. Regional differences will contribute to varying job market conditions depending on factors like:
- Geography (say, coastal regions of Canada may be best for marine engineers)
- Industry (say, the oil and gas industry has a heavy presence in Alberta)
- Ontario & British Columbia forms the IT hub of Canada and employs thousands of immigrant engineers every year.
Therefore, with the right guidance and choice of Canadian cities, you’ll likely find great jobs in several Canadian cities. You may also benefit from an exclusive engineering bridging program in Canada. Such programs are the most preferred way to transition your international experience/training and gain Canada-specific work experience.
Finding Engineering Job Outlook in Canada
Here is a useful resource, click on the link.
You can explore the trend analysis for Engineering jobs in Canada in 2021. You segregate and explore the market situation in Canada depending on occupation, wages, prospects. For instance, here is a detailed outlook of Software Developers in Canada, showing Job opportunities, Labour market conditions, Wage analysis, and more.
Canada Immigration Programs for Engineers
Canada is eyeing at welcoming nearly 1.2 million new immigrants in the next three years. Over 60% of the said target is expected to be achieved with the help of economic-class immigration programs. Some of the most prominent immigration pathways for foreign Engineers to immigrate to Canada in 2021 are as follows:
- British Columbia Tech Program
- Ontario Tech Pilot
- Alberta Express Entry stream
- Manitoba Skilled Workers Overseas stream
- Saskatchewan Occupation-In demand
- Other Provincial Nominee Programs (PNP) for Provincial Nominations.
- Express Entry System for Permanent Residency.
Foreign skilled workers even without any work experience inside Canada may stand a chance to qualify for permanent residency through the Express Entry system. It will depend upon their age, education, work experience outside Canada, and language proficiency in English or French.
In some other cases, specific provincial programs like British Columbia Tech Program, Ontario Tech Pilot. the Alberta Express Entry stream, Manitoba Skilled Workers Overseas, Saskatchewan Occupation-In demand stream picks eligible skilled workers to apply for provincial nomination. A provincial nomination will quicken your process of obtaining permanent residency.
Not just experienced professionals, but young international students who are planning on studying abroad may choose Canada. The country is lauded world-over for its quality education and easier immigration policies. In fact, as per a report, over 30% of international students who got Canadian bachelor’s degrees and almost 50% of international students who graduated with master’s degrees became permanent residents (PR) within 10 years since they got their study permit.
CanApprove has been the regional leader in providing trusted immigration and overseas education consultancy for more than two decades. We can help you expedite your visa documentation process, career counseling, overseas education counseling, pre-departure & post-arrival immigration support, and much more.
Take this free assessment online to determine your best immigration option depending on your work profile.
Book your free appointment with our expert consultants today.