Immigration, Refugees, and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) announces 4 newly approved English Language tests for applicants in the Student Direct Stream (SDS). IRCC has begun to accept test results from the following English Language tests that have already begun since August 10th, 2023:
1. Canadian English Language Proficiency Index Program (CELPIP) General
2. Pearson Test of English (PTE) Academic
3. Canadian Academic English Language (CAEL)
4. Test of English as Foreign Language, Internet Based Test (TOEFL iBT)
Language Test Score Eligibility
To be eligible for SDS, applicants’ results must demonstrate their abilities across all four language proficiency domains, such as reading, writing, listening, and speaking.
|Language Test||Minimum Score|
|Canadian English Language Proficiency Index Program (CELPIP)||CLB 7|
|Pearson Test of English (PTE)||60|
|Canadian Academic English Language (CAEL)||60|
|Test of English as Foreign Language, Internet Based Test (TOEFL iBT)||83|
What is a Student Direct Stream?
The Student Direct Stream (SDS) is a program that offers an expedited process for study permits for students from particular countries. The SDS was launched in 2018 and was quite popular among Indian international students. The student direct stream is available for legit students who reside in specific countries, such as:
- Antigua and Barbuda
- Costa Rica
- Saint Vincent and the Grenadines
- Trinidad and Tobago
Most international students get their study permits quicker through the student direct stream. The IRCC processes SDS applications within 20 days if the applicant’s eligibility criteria are met.
SDS Eligibility Criteria
Students must meet certain eligibility requirements to be eligible for SDS, besides being legal residents of the specified countries.
1. The student must provide a copy of the letter of acceptance from a Canadian Designated Learning Institution (DLI).
2. Provide proof of a Guaranteed Investment Certificate (GIC) of CAD 10,000.
3. Produce a confirmation document for the applicant’s upfront medical exam.
4. Proof of a legit language test result completed within 2 years at the time of SDS application with an IELTS score of 6 or NCLC 7.
5. Applications can be submitted at a Visa Application Center (VAC).
Canada has been the home of immigrants, especially international students. The international population of Canada has four-folded since 2008 as a result of several national and international factors. The Canadian Government has been meticulously inviting students from all over the world for economic, social, and cultural reasons. Now that the population in Canada is growing rapidly, Canada is building up its standard by providing world-class education, multiculturalism, and the quality of life of its people.
If you’re looking for an opportunity to make Canada your dream destination, CanApprove is going to make it possible for you. Talk to our experts to learn more about becoming a permanent resident in Canada!