Immigration emerged as the major driving force behind the population increase in Canada in the first quarter of the year 2019, during the period from the start of January till the end of March 2019. A total of 98,410 people moved to Canada in the first quarter of 2019 and by April 1, 2019, the total population of the country was estimated to be 37.4 million.
During this period, Canada immigration accounted for 83 per cent of the total population growth while the remaining 17 per cent was contributed by natural population growth. The difference between births and deaths during a particular period is called natural population growth. In the first quarter of the current year, the natural population growth rate was in record low in Canada. During this period, the country had only around 17000 more number of births than deaths.
The report by Statistics Canada also says that the downward trend in the share of natural increase in population is all likely to continue. As a result, Canada may be increasingly depending on international migration in the future to sustain population growth.
Usually, natural increase in population is lower in Canada in the first quarter of every year thanks to seasonal factors. But it should be noted that there have never been so many deaths recorded in a single quarter as in 2019.
Despite immigration contributing in a major way towards population growth in Canada during this period, the country received the lowest number of new permanent residents at 65959, compared to the first quarter of any year since 2015. On the contrary, Canada witnessed the largest increase in the number of non-permanent residents admitted to the country since 1989. An increase of 31,547 in the number of non-permanent residents admitted to the country in the first quarter of 2019 was the major driver of population growth, revealed the Statistics Canada report.
In the first quarter of 2019, all Canadian provinces except Newfoundland & Labrador witnessed a growth in population. Ontario and Alberta recorded the largest population growth at a rate of 0.4 per cent. The average national growth rate was 0.3 per cent and the total population of Canada came to around 37,067,011.
In the context of declining natural population growth, Canada is increasingly depending on international immigration to sustain a healthy population growth. So if you wish to make Canada your permanent home, there is no better time than now to immigrate. Contact us to know your eligibility for Canada immigration.