How To Find Work In Canada On Student Visa For You and Your Partner/Spouse?

How To Find Work In Canada On Student Visa For You and Your Partner/Spouse?

Immigration, Refugees, and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) reported increasing demand for study permits in Canada. Last year, Canada reported a 56% increase in study permit applications over 2020. In Q1 of 2022, Canada received about 175,000 applications. 

The growing popularity among other major study destinations could be due to various options for work in Canada on student visa, not only for self but also for a spouse or common-law partner immigrating alongside the permit holder. 

Additionally, a recent survey noted Canada’s reputation for safety and stability as a major deciding factor in choosing to study.

With many immigration options for international students now open, interested candidates are most likely to get their choice of study course and eventually, qualify for permanent residency status in Canada.  

Work Options in Canada for Study Visa Holders

Work-study visas are an excellent way to retain foreign skilled talent and also let them gain some local work experience. This is a great way to qualify for immigration, say permanent residence visas under the points-based immigration system

Generally, students switching schools or taking an authorized leave from their studies are not allowed to work in Canada on student visa.

Let’s explore various options for work in Canada on student visa.  

I. Off-campus work rules

Off-campus work rules apply in situations where students prefer to work for an employer in Canada that is not located on the university/college/institution campus. 

Student visa in Canada allows work upto 20 hours per week during regular academic semesters, and full-time during scheduled academic breaks, like winter, spring, and summer break.

Typically, an international student must ensure the following pre-requisites to work in Canada on a student visa off-campus: 

  • enroll themselves in a full-time study course of at least 6 months at any Designated Learning Institution (DLI) and leading to a certificate, diploma, or degree
  • hold a valid Canadian study permit
  • have a social insurance number (SIN)

II. On-campus work rules

On-campus work rules apply in situations where students prefer to work for an employer located on the university/college/institution campus itself. 

Such employers within the campus could be 

  • the school,
  • a faculty member,
  • a student organization,
  • a private business on campus,
  • a private contractor providing services to the school, or
  • self-employed on-campus.

Exception for international students who are teaching or research assistants. They can work at a library, hospital, or research facility associated with their school in Canada even if it is outside the campus. 

III. Co-op work rules

Co-op study programs mandates students to undergo work internships to account for it in program credits and complete the study course. 

Eligible students need a separate co-op work permit to work in Canada on a student visa. 

The co-op work permit is a separate, closed-work permit. It may only be used for work that is essential to the program of study. 

IV. After graduation

An open work permit called Post-Graduation Work Permit (PGWP) allows international students to work in Canada full-time upon graduation. The PGWP is valid for up to three years and allows the holder to work for an employer of their choice in Canada. 

Students that are not eligible to work off campus include

  • visiting or exchange students at a designated learning institution
  • students only taking courses required to be accepted into a full-time program
  • students enrolled in English as a Second Language (ESL) or French as a Second Language (FSL) program

Students that are not eligible to work on campus include

  • students whose study permit has expired
  • students who stop studying full time unless they are in their final semester and meet other requirements

Work Options in Canada for Partner/Spouse

The spouse or common-law partner may be eligible for work in Canada on student visa of an international student.  

The spouse or common-law partner of international students on a valid study permit is eligible for an open work permit if the student:

  • eligible for a Post-Graduation Work Permit (PGWP)
  • enrolled in a full-time program at one of the public post-secondary schools, a private college-level schools in Quebec or a Canadian private schools that can legally award degree under provincial law.

Open-work permit in Canada is not job-specific and eligible beneficiaries are free to apply for most job positions.  

Take this free assessment online to determine your chances of qualifying for immigration. 

Applying for a Study Permit in Canada with CanApprove

Canada’s Post-Graduation Work Permit (PGWP) Program is one of the most popular immigration options for international students. It allows them to gain work experience and have a better chance at qualifying for permanent residency, especially through the Canadian Experience Class under Express Entry. 

The Provincial Nominee Program is another significant immigration program for international students. There are dedicated provincial immigration streams from Saskatchewan, Manitoba, British Columbia, and Ontario that nominate international student graduates to apply for provincial nominations. 

If you are in the Express Entry pool already, you may be invited to apply for a provincial nomination. Then if you get the nomination, it will mean you get 600 points added to your score and you will be able to apply for immigration as a PNP candidate!

Subscribe our Youtube channel for more Immigration and Overseas Education updates.

Connect with our consultants today to learn more about the University Programs, Scholarships, Tuition Fees, and settlement options after graduation.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes:

<a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong>

Send Us An Enquiry

Enter your details below and we'll call you back when it suits you.

    [honeypot 953b1362b63bd3ecf68]

    Enquire Now Call Now