Immigration, Refugees, and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) in a press release makes major reforms in the parents and grandparents Super Visa. The reforms is based on Bill C-242 which is currently making its way through Parliament.
The new reforms will come into effect from July 04, 2022:
- The length of stay for Super Visa holders will be increased to five years per entry into Canada from the previous two years per entry.
- People who currently have a Super Visa also have the option to request to extend their stay by up to two years while in Canada. This could allow current Super Visa holders to stay in Canada for up to seven consecutive years.
- Canada’s Immigration Minister will have the authority to designate international medical insurance companies to provide coverage to Super Visa applicants in the future. Previously, candidates were forced to buy medical insurance only from a Canada-based company.
“… The enhancements to the super visa program allow family members to reunite for longer in Canada, which helps everyday Canadian citizens and permanent residents succeed and contribute to society…” said Canada’s Immigration Minister Sean Fraser.
About the Parents and Grandparents Super Visa – Canada Family Sponsorship 2022
The Parents and Grandparents Super Visa is a multi-entry visa that is valid for up to 10 years. According to IRCC, Canada issues approximately 17,000 Super Visas per year.
Alternatively, Super Visa is offered as an alternative to the Parents and Grandparents Program (PGP).
Applicants under PGP may even obtain permanent residency. Further, doors to apply for Canadian citizenship will also open.
Prior to the pandemic, IRCC was exploring other ways to manage the PGP. as the demand to sponsor parents and grandparents far exceeds the number of spots. In a given year, IRCC receives interest from some 200,000 sponsors but offers some 20,000 immigration spots through the PGP.
Who can apply for the Super Visa?
Parents or grandparents of Canadian citizens and permanent residents may be eligible to apply for the Super Visa. The applicants may be required to meet specific conditions set forth by the visa office through which they will be applying.
It is important to note that no dependents can be included in this application. Only parents or grandparents, together with their spouses or common-law partners, may be included on an application for the Super Visa.
Who is eligible to become a sponsor for Super Visa?
Any child or grandchild who is already a Canadian permanent resident or a citizen may be eligible to become a sponsor for the Super Visa.
The sponsors for parents and grandparents super visa will need to prove that their household meets the required minimum necessary income. This proof may consist of the following documents:
- Notice of Assessment (NOA) or T4/T1 for the most recent tax year;
- Employment Insurance stubs;
- An employment letter including salary and date of hiring;
- Pay stubs; or
- bank statements.
Immigration to Canada is also possible with family members such as spouses and dependent children.
Read our blog on guide to spousal immigration to Canada from the UAE to learn more.
An application for a Canada family sponsorship visa through a certified Canadian immigration consultant will analyze various immigration programs and suggest suitable options based on the applicants’ work or academic profile.
CanApprove is duly registered and approved by the College for Immigration and Citizenship Consultants (CICC) to provide documentation and other services relating to Canadian immigration. Our immigration consultants can guide you even better based on your work & academic profile.
Click here to book your appointment today.