The released details of the first three PNP draws held by Newfoundland, and Labrador resulted in a total of 663 invitations to apply for provincial nominations.
All these draws were conducted in the months of July, September, and October 2021, inviting highly skilled, foreign workers without a job offer to apply for provincial nomination and qualify for Canadian permanent residency.
The invited candidates had prior work experience outside Canada and included Nurses, Software Developers, Cloud specialists, Web developers, Python developers, AI developers, Bioinformaticians, UI/UX developers, .Net developers, Data Analysts to apply for provincial nomination and qualify for Canadian permanent residency.
N&L to welcome 5,100 new immigrants each year by 2026. Click here to learn more.
New Immigration Pathway- Priority Skills
Through the new Priority Skills Newfoundland and Labrador, under the Newfoundland and Labrador Provincial Nominee Program (NLPNP), highly educated and highly skilled candidates with work experience in specific industries (say, technology and healthcare) are expected to be retained in the province.
The Newfoundland and Labrador Provincial Nominee Program (NLPNP) introduced a new pathway to benefit highly-skilled foreign workers to receive provincial nominations.
Professionals with work experience in the following occupations are to be considered:
|Information and Communication Technology||Software Developer||UI/UX Developer|
|AI Developer||Python Developer||.NET Developer|
|Infrastructure Engineer||Security Specialist||Cloud Specialist|
|Computer Network Support||Biomedical Engineer||Bioinformatician|
|Mechanical Engineer||Electrical Engineer||Ocean Technology|
Furthermore, to qualify for Priority Skills stream under NLPNP, newcomers must meet all the criteria for either the Skilled worker or Express Entry Skilled Worker categories. It is summarised as follows:
- Must be at least 21 years old.
- Intend to live permanently in Newfoundland and Labrador.
- At least one year of work experience in one of Newfoundland’s in-demand occupations.
- Language proficiency in English by taking one of the following language tests (IELTS / CELPIP) and scoring equivalent to Canadian Language Benchmark (CLB) level 5 or more.
- Not necessary to have a job offer.
- Also, open to post-graduates who completed a Masters or Doctorate degree at Memorial University within the past three years.
The Priority Skills Newfoundland and Labrador operate as an Expression of Interest (EOI) system. Those with above 60 points in the EOI questionnaire will be visible to local employers.
Invited individuals receive a provincial nomination if they meet all the criteria for either the Skilled worker or Express Entry Skilled Worker categories. This nomination will support a subsequent application for Canadian permanent residence to the federal government.
Other Ways For Foreign Workers To Migrate To Canada
Any foreign skilled worker/entrepreneur who is not present in the province and wishes to obtain a provincial nomination for Canada PR may qualify under any of the six categories:
- Express Entry Skilled Worker Category: nominates skilled workers registered in the federal Express Entry pool. Nominated individuals need to have job offers in the province.
- Skilled Worker Category: targets individuals who have received a job offer from an employer or those who are already working in the province.
- International Graduate Category: recent graduates with a valid Post-Graduate Work Permit and having a job or a job offer in the province may apply.
- International Entrepreneur Category: Foreign entrepreneurs who wish to settle in the province and start/purchase a business.
- International Graduate Entrepreneur Category: International Graduates willing to start or run a business in the province may apply for Canada PR under this category.
- Atlantic Immigration Pilot.
Significant industries in the province include financial services, healthcare, mining, fishing, oil production, and manufacturing are open to welcoming foreign skilled immigrants. Plan your immigration to Canada and choose Newfoundland & Labrador if you have work experience in such industries.
Take this free assessment to determine your eligibility.
Book your free appointment with CanApprove to explore your best immigration option.