Federal Skilled Trades Program


Get in Touch

    [honeypot 953b1362b63bd3ecf68]

    Federal Skilled Trades Program

    The Federal Skilled Trades Program is a pathway for foreign skilled workers to become permanent residents in Canada. It is one of the three federal economic immigration programs managed under Express Entry, Canada’s online application system for skilled workers who want to become permanent residents in Canada.

    Eligibility requirements

    To be eligible under the Federal Skilled Trades Program, one must meet the following
    eligibility requirements:

    1. Required level of language proficiency in all the four abilities, which are:
    • Writing
    • Reading
    • Listening
    • Speaking

    2. Minimum 2 years full-time work experience or equivalent part-time work experience. The work experience must be in a skilled trade, acquired within the five years before submitting the application.

    3. The work experience you earned must be through paid work. Volunteer work and unpaid internships won’t be counted.

    4. Meet all the requirements for the respective skilled trade, which are listed out in the National Occupational Classification(NOC), except needing a qualification certificate.

    5. Valid job offer of full-time employment for at least one year or a certificate in the respective skilled trade issued by a Canadian provincial, territorial or federal authority.

    Work Experience

    To be eligible to apply for permanent residence in Canada under the Federal Skilled Trades Program, a candidate must have required level of work experience in any of the skilled trades categorised under the following groups of the National Occupational Classification(NOC):

    Major Group 72 Technical trades and transportation officers and controllers
    excluding Sub-Major Group 726, transportation officers and controllers
    Major Group 73 General trades
    Major Group 82 Supervisors in natural resources, agriculture and related production
    Major Group 83 Occupations in natural resources and related production
    Major Group 92 Processing, manufacturing and utilities supervisors, utilities operators and controllers
    Major Group 93 Central control and process operators and aircraft assembly assemblers and inspectors, excluding Sub-Major Group 932, aircraft assemblers and aircraft assembly inspectors
    Minor Group 6320 Cooks, butchers and bakers
    Unit Group 62200 Chefs

    Further, the candidate must prove that they have performed the duties described in the lead statement of the respective occupation in the NOC. Otherwise, their application may be rejected.


    The Federal Skilled Trades Program does not specify any education requirement. However, you can improve your Comprehensive Ranking System (CRS) score in two ways:

    -By proving that you have completed your secondary/higher secondary education from a Canadian institution that has led to a certificate, diploma or degree.

    -By having your Educational Credential Assessment (ECA) done to prove that your qualifications are on par with Canadian standards.

    Language proficiency

    To be eligible to apply for permanent residence in Canada under the Federal Skilled Trades Program, you must have language ability equal to Canadian Language Benchmark 5 for speaking and listening abilities and Canadian Language Benchmark 4 for reading and writing.

    In order to prove your language proficiency, you must take language tests approved by the Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC).

    Then you must add the results in your Express Entry profile. The results will remain valid for two years from the date you took the tests. They must be valid on the day you apply for permanent residence.

    Proof of funds

    Under the Federal Skilled Trades Program, you must prove that you have enough funds to support yourself and your family for settling in Canada. Further, you should prove that you will be able to work in Canada legally and have a valid job offer from a Canada employer.


    The next important factor is admissibility. You must prove that you are not inadmissible to Canada on criminal or health grounds. There are many reasons why you are will be declared inadmissible to Canada. One major reason for criminal inadmissibility is if you have been convicted for driving under the influence or alcohol or drugs.

    Settle outside Quebec

    You must plan to settle outside Quebec, if you are applying for permanent residence under the Federal Skilled Trades Program. In your Express Entry profile, you may also need to indicate in which province or territory you plan to settle, once you receive permanent residence status. However, it is not mandatory that you settle in the same province. But if you have received provincial nomination, you will have to settle in the same province or territory that nominated you.

    At provincial level, the candidates will be assessed for their trade and the assessing process is different for each province/territory. Also, some trades are not regulated by a province or territory but at federal level. So, you need to approach the respective authority to get your trade assessed.

    Submitting the Express Entry profile

    Following are the steps involved in submitting your Express Entry profile:

    • Finding out the National Occupational Classification(NOC) code of your occupation
    • Ensuring that you meet the eligibility requirements
    • Creating the Express Entry
    • Submitting the complete application for Canada PR once your receive an Express Entry invitation
    • Documents required to apply for Canada PR under Federal Skilled Trades Program

    While creating an Express Entry profile, you will need the following documents:

    • Passport
    • Language test results to prove your language proficiency
    • Proof of Canadian education or Educational Credential Assessment report
    • Provincial nomination (if applicable)
    • Job offer (if applicable
    • Proof of work experience
    • Qualification certificate in a trade occupation issued by a Canadian province or territory (if applicable)
    • Proof of settlement funds

    If you receive an Invitation to Apply for permanent residence in an Express Entry draw, you will need the following documents to submit the application:

    • Police clearance certificate
    • Medical clearance certificate
    • Proof of funds
    • Birth certificate
    • Documents to prove your marital status
    • Adoption certificate if your dependent child is adopted

    Additional documents

    • If you have a relative in Canada, documents to prove your relationship
    • Digital photos to confirm your identity
    • Any other documents you may feel relevant

    Obtaining a Canadian trade qualification

    In order to be eligible under the Federal Skilled Trades Program, you need a Canadian trade certificate or qualification in the concerned trade. So you need to approach the respective authority to obtain this qualification. Also you will need to go Canada to clear the tests to obtain the qualification. The authorities which provide Canadian trade qualification are as follows:

    • Industry Training Authority(British Columbia)
    • Ontario College of Trades
    • Red Seal Program(Prince Edward Island)
    • Alberta Apprentice ship and Industry Training
    • Apprenticeship and Trades Certification Division(Newfoundland)
    • Red Seal Program(Nova Scotia)
    • Apprenticeship Manitoba
    • Red Seal Program(New Brunswick)
    • Saskatchewan Apprenticeship and Trade Certification Commission

    Do you wish to check your eligibility for obtaining Canada PR under Federal Skilled Trades Program(FSTP)? Connect with CanApprove now!



    Enquire Now Call Now