Federal Skilled Worker Program


Get in Touch

    [honeypot 953b1362b63bd3ecf68]

    Federal Skilled Worker Program

    Federal Skilled Worker Program (FSWP) is one of the three federal economic immigration programs managed under the Express Entry. The program targets skilled workers who have foreign work experience and the eligibility to migrate to Canada permanently.

    Federal Skilled Worker Program Selection Factors

    The program assesses and selects candidates on the basis of six selection factors. These are:

    • Age
    • Education
    • Work experience
    • Job offer
    • Language proficiency in English or French
    • Adaptability

    Based on these factors, each candidate is awarded a score out of 100 on the points assessment grid of the Federal Skilled Worker Program. Those who score at least 67 points out of 100 will become eligible under the Federal Skilled Worker Program.

    A break-down of the 100 points is as follows:

    Language proficiency (Maximum 28 points)

    To be eligible under the Federal Skilled Worker Program, you must prove your proficiency in English or French, the two official languages of Canada. If you know both these languages, it will help you earn a few more points. You need to produce the results of one of the approved language tests to prove your proficiency. The proficiency level is assessed on the basis of:

    • Canadian Language Benchmark(CLB) for English
    • Niveaux de competence linguistique canadiens(NCLC) for French

    To be eligible, you need to score a minimum level of CLB 7 or NCLC 7.

    Work experience (Maximum 15 points)

    To be eligible under Federal Skilled Worker Program, you should have at least one year of full-time, paid work experience in a skilled occupation featured under Training, Education, Experience and Responsibilities (TEER) category 0, 1, 2, or 3 as per the National Occupational Classification (NOC)2021. The more years of work experience you have, the higher will be your score.

    Please refer the chart below:

    Experience Maximum 15 points
    1 year 9
    2-3 years 11
    4-5 years 13
    6 or more years 15
    Experience 9

    Age (Maximum 12 points)

    The minimum age of a candidate to apply under the Federal Skilled Worker Program is 18 years. The younger you are, the more points you will be able to earn. It goes as follows:

    Age Points
    Under 18 0
    18-35 12
    36 11
    37 10
    38 9
    39 8
    40 7
    41 6
    42 5
    43 4
    44 3
    45 2
    46 1
    47 and older 0

    Job offer from a Canadian employer (Maximum 10 points)

    If you have a job offer of at least one year from a Canadian employer, you can earn a maximum of 10 points. However, you must have obtained this job offer before submitting the application as a Federal Skilled Worker.
    Further, the job offer must be:

    • For continuous, paid full-time work(minimum of 30 hours/week)
    • It must not be seasonal
    • It must be for at least one year
    • The occupation must be listed in TEER category 0, 1, 2 or 3 of the NOC.

    You must also convince the authorities that you have the skills and ability to undertake efficiently the job which is offered to you. If the occupation is regulated, you must be able to obtain a license or certificate once you come to Canada.

    Adaptability (Maximum 10 points)

    You and your spouse or common-law partner who will be immigrating with you to Canada can earn a maximum of 10 points for adaptability. The points are awarded on the basis of:

    The lanaguage proficiency of your spouse/common-law partner 5
    Canadian education 5
    Your spouse/common-law partner’s Canadian education 5
    Canadian work experience 10
    Your spouse/common-law partner’s Canadian work experience 5
    Arranged employment in Canada 5
    Relatives in Canada 5
    The lanaguage proficiency of your spouse/common-law partner 5

    Eligibility requirements for Federal Skilled Worker Program (FSWP)

    Skilled Work Experience
    To eligible for Federal Skilled Worker Program, a candidate should have skilled work experience in any of the occupations classified under TEER 0, TEER 1, TEER 2 or TEER 3 of the National Occupational Classification(NOC). You must prove that as part of your primary occupation, you have performed the duties set out in the lead statement of the occupational description in the NOC.

    • The work experience must be in your primary occupation
    • You must have acquired the work experience within the last 10 years
    • It must be paid work as, volunteer work and unpaid internship won’t be counted.
    • You must have continuous work experience at least for one year. It can be full-time work or equivalent part-time work.

    The work experience you earned while studying will be counted as skilled work experience, if it meets the following conditions:

    You were paid by wages/commissions

    • It was continuous work with no gaps in employment
    • You have met all the other eligibility requirements of the Program

    Language proficiency
    To be eligible under the Federal Skilled Worker Program, a candidate must prove their proficiency in English or French, the two official languages of Canada. It must be proved with the results of one of the language tests approved by the Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC). The score must be equal to Canadian Language Benchmark(CLB)7 in all the four abilities, which are :

    • Writing
    • Reading
    • Listening
    • Speaking

    You must also have added your test results to your Express Entry profile. The validity of the language test result is two years. It should be valid on the day when you apply for permanent residence.

    To be eligible under Federal Skilled Worker Program, you must have obtained a certificate, diploma or degree from a Canadian secondary institution or post-secondary institution. If you have obtained your educational credentials from outside Canada, you must have the Educational Credential Assessment (ECA) done to prove that your certificate, diploma or degree is equal to Canadian secondary or post-secondary level education.

    Proof of funds
    While applying under Federal Skilled Worker Program, you must prove that you have enough money to support yourself and your family in Canada until you begin to earn a steady income. However, you need not submit proof of funds if you are currently working in Canada legally and you have a valid job offer.


    You must prove that you are not inadmissible to Canada. There are several reasons why you won’t be allowed to enter Canada. These can be security reasons such as:

    • Espionage
    • Subversion
    • Violence/terrorism
    • Association with any organizations involved in such activities.

    or Human or international rights violations such as

    • war crimes
    • crimes against humanity
    • If you have been convicted of driving under the influence of drugs or alcohol
    • Organized crime such as smuggling or money laundering
    • Having medical conditions which may endanger public health or public safety or which may cause excessive demand on the health and social services.
    • If you are unable/unwilling to financially support yourself or your family members
    • If you have provided false information or withheld information, which are directly related to the decisions made under the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act (IRPA)
    • If you have failed to comply with any provisions of the IRPA
    • If you have a family member who is inadmissible.

    Documents required to apply for Canada PR under Federal Skilled Worker Program

    1 Passport
    2. Language test results
    3. Educational Credential Assessment (ECA)
    4. Provincial Nomination (If you have one)
    5. Proof of funds
    6. Police clearance certificates
    7. Medical clearance
    8. Proof of funds
    9. Birth certificate
    10. Document to prove your status if you are married or divorced
    11. Death certificate
    12. Adoption certificate, if you have a dependent child who is adopted

    Application Process

    The first step involved in applying for permanent residence in Canada under the Federal Skilled Worker Program is making sure that you meet the eligibility requirements. If you meet the requirements and score above 67 out of 100 on the program’s points grid, you will enter the Express Entry pool. Eventually, you may receive an invitation to apply for permanent residence in Canada in a federal Express Entry draw.

    You may also apply for a provincial nomination, which will increase your chances of receiving an invitation. You must also make sure that you have chosen the right NOC code while creating your Express Entry profile.

    While waiting to receive an invitation, it is ideal to get all the documents ready. You should also make sure that your language test results have not expired. You may also try to increase your CRS score by improving your language test results score or acquiring an additional qualification. You need to keep your Express Entry profile by adding or deleting information, whenever necessary.

    You will need police clearance certificates from all the countries where you have stayed more than six months after you turned 18. This is to prove that you are not criminally inadmissible to Canada.

    Further, all your dependent family members who are above the age of 18 will also need police clearance certificates. In some countries, obtaining a police clearance certificate can be a prolonged process. So it is ideal to obtain these certificates in advance.
    You may also start searching for a job in Canada. If you manage to get a job offer, you will be able to score more points. Once you have been invited, you will also have to get your medical clearance.

    For many, applying for permanent residence in Canada may appear to be a cumbersome task. But it can be turned into a cakewalk, if you have the support of experienced Canada immigration experts of CanApprove. If you are interested to know more about your options for Canada immigration and your chances of obtaining Canada PR, contact us without delay!

    Frequently Asked Questions

    Do I need a job offer to get a Canada PR?

    A job offer is optional to receive an invitation and get a Canada Permanent Residence. However, a valid job offer from a Canadian employer or a nomination from a province will increase the CRS points and can help you receive an ITA quickly.

    Can I update my express entry profile after creating it?

    Yes. You can update your Express Entry profile now and then, adding new educational qualifications, improved language scores, or increased work experience, which would increase your chances of receiving an ITA.

    Is there any specific time during the year of creating an Express Entry profile?

    No! You can submit your profile under the Express Entry Program at any time of the year.

    Is the Canada PR requirements for Indians different from others?

    No. The requirements for applying for a PR is same for all and it doesn’t differ for countries.



    Enquire Now Call Now