Canadian Experience Class


Get in Touch

    [honeypot 953b1362b63bd3ecf68]

    Canadian Experience Class

    Canadian Experience Class (CEC), launched in 2008, is one of the three federal economic immigration programs managed under the Express Entry. However, unlike the other two federal economic immigration programs managed under Express Entry, Canadian Experience Class(CEC) exclusively targets those who have skilled work experience in Canada. So those who are already residing in Canada either as a temporary worker or as an international graduate can apply for Canada immigration under the Canadian Experience Class, provided they have the required level of skilled work experience in Canada and meet other eligibility requirements.

    Currently, Canadian Experience Class is one of the largest immigration pathways and is considered to be a great success in achieving its purpose of transforming temporary foreign skilled workers with Canadian work experience into permanent residents in the country.

    What are the benefits of Canadian Experience Class?

    • As CEC candidates have previous experience of living and working in Canada, they have a better chance of integrating well into Canadian society
    • Those who have Canadian experience also have a better chance of obtaining more CRS score points. It means, they are more likely to receive invitation in an Express Entry draw.
    • The immigration applications of CEC candidates under Express Entry are likely to be processed within six months.
    • CEC candidate do not need to demonstrate that they have enough settlement funds to support themselves, upon obtaining permanent residence.

    Eligibility requirements for Canadian Experience Class

    Work Experience

    To be eligible to apply for permanent residence in Canada under the Canadian Experience Class(CEC), a candidate must have at least one year of skilled work experience in Canada. The candidate must have acquired this work experience within the last five years. Further, this work experience must have been obtained while legally residing in Canada under temporary resident status, with authorization to work. Moreover, the work experience must be in an occupation classified under TEER 0, 1, 2 or 3 job categories under the Canadian National Occupational Classification(NOC). You must prove that you have performed the duties described in the lead statement of the occupation, in the NOC.


    Though there is no specific education requirement for Canadian Experience Class(CEC), you can earn some additional Comprehensive Ranking System(CRS) score points for education in two ways.
    One is to prove that you have completed secondary or post-secondary education in a Canadian institution that has led to a certificate, diploma or degree. The other is, if you have obtained your educational qualifications from outside Canada, you may get your Educational Credential Assessment (ECA) done, to prove that your educational qualifications are on par with Canadian standards.

    Language ability

    If your occupation is classified under TEER 0 or TEER 1 of the NOC, you must have language proficiency equal to Canadian Language Benchmark (CLB) 7. At the same time, if your occupation is classified under TEER 2 or TEER 3, you must have language proficiency equal to Canadian Language Benchmark 5.
    Your language proficiency can be proven with the results of any of the approved language test and the results must be added to your Express Entry profile.
    The validity of your language test results is two years. Also, your results must be valid on the day you apply for permanent residence.


    You must prove that you are not inadmissible to Canada on criminal or health grounds. One such possible reason for your inadmissibility is having convicted for driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs.

    Qualifying work experience for Canadian Experience Class (CEC)

    For the Canadian work experience of a candidate to be counted as eligible for Canadian Experience Class, they should have acquired this experience while legally residing in Canada. Self-employment and unauthorized work will not be considered for the purpose. However, it is not mandatory that the candidate is employed at the time of submitting the application. But they must have maintained temporary resident status during the qualifying period of work experience in Canada. It must also be remembered that the work experience you obtained while you were a full-time student, will not be counted.

    Proof of work experience

    The candidates applying for permanent residence under the Canadian Experience Class(CEC) must provide documents to prove their work experience in Canada. These can include:

    • A copy of their most recent work permit
    • Copies of their most recent T4 tax information slips
    • Notice of Assessment(NOA), issued by the Canada Revenue Agency(CRA)
    • Sufficient combination of other supporting documentation
    • Employer letters of reference. These letters must be presented for all periods of qualifying work experience.

    The candidates who have received a positive determination of eligibility for a processing decision under the CEC may apply for a work permit which will allow them to work in Canada as they wait to receive Canada PR.

    Who are not eligible for Canadian Experience Class?

    • Those who are working in Canada illegally
    • Those who have work experience in an occupation not classified as
    • TEER Category 0, 1, 2 or 3 of the National Occupational Classification
    • Those who are self-employed
    • Those who work on a student work permit
    • Those who have less than one year of skilled work experience in Canada
    • Those who plan to settle in Quebec

    Major differences between CEC and FSWP

    Language Minimum language proficiency equal to CLB 7 for NOC 0 or A.
    Minimum language proficiency equal to CLB 5 for NOC B
    Minimum language proficiency equal to CLB 7
    Work Experience Minimum one year of Canadian work experience acquired within the last five years. Minimum one year of continuous work experience acquired within the last 10 years.
    Job offer Not necessary Not mandatory. But you will earn some extra eligibility points if you have a valid job offer.
    Education There is no minimum level of education You should have at least secondary level education. The higher the education level, the more points you will earn.
    Settlement funds Not necessary Candidate must produce either proof of settlement funds or a valid job offer
    Points grid CEC does not have a points grid FSWP has a points grid

    Do you wish to know more about your options for migrating to Canada under Express Entry? Talk to the Canada immigration experts of CanApprove for the right guidance and support.



    Enquire Now Call Now