Tag: SettlingInCanada

Canadian Experience Class: Your Path to Permanent Residency

What is a Canadian Experience Class Program?

Immigration, Refugees, and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) launched the Canadian Experience Class (CEC) in 2008. It offers temporary foreign-skilled workers in Canada a pathway to permanent residency. Governments across Canada, communities, employers, and immigration candidates themselves consider the Canadian Experience Class to be one of the most successful immigration routes.

Benefits of the CEC Program

More international students and temporary foreign skilled workers are choosing to establish themselves in Canada. Thanks to the CEC program. Here are some benefits you can enjoy in Canada as an international student and skilled professional through the CEC program.

1. You have the privilege of enjoying the benefits of the Canadian government just as other permanent residents and citizens of Canada do, including healthcare and other services.
2. You can sponsor your spouse and other family members to work in Canada legally.
3. As an international student, you can choose to study at the best Canadian universities.
4. You can apply for Canadian citizenship after residing in Canada for 3 years and obtaining a Canadian passport.
5. You can reside and work anywhere in Canada.

Requirements for the Canadian Experience Class Program

Before applying for the Canadian Experience Class program, you must meet certain eligibility criteria. Some of them are mentioned for you.

1. You must possess at least a year of professional, skilled, or technical employment experience within 36 months of the application date.
2. If you intend to live and work outside of Quebec, you can apply to the Quebec Experience Class if you have work experience there and plan to stay there.
3. You must have a Canadian Language Benchmark of 5 (initial intermediate) for NOC B jobs or CLB 7 (adequate intermediate proficiency) for jobs considered to be NOC skill level 0 to A jobs.

You can stay in Canada for the duration of the application process. If you apply for the Canadian Experience Class within three years of quitting your Canadian job and do not reside there,  you are still eligible to enroll.


Canadian Experience Class

Eligibility for Canadian Experience Class as an international student

The following is the most common path for an international student using the CEC to become a permanent resident of Canada:

1. Complete your course of study at a Designated Learning Institution (DLI) in Canada.
2. Apply for a Post-Graduation Work Permit through the IRCC portal online.
3. Obtain at least 1,560 hours of work experience in Canada under NOC TEER categories 0, 1, 2, or 3 using your PGWP.
4. Take up a language test, English or French, with a minimum CLB of 7 for NOC category 0 with one year of work experience and a minimum CLB of 5 for NOC category 2 with at least 3 years of work experience.
5. Enter the Express Entry pool. The IRCC will attempt to process your application for permanent residence within 6 months if you receive an invitation to apply.

Eligibility for Canadian Experience Class as a temporary foreign worker

The following is the most common path for a temporary foreign worker  using the CEC to become a permanent resident of Canada:

1. Obtain a Canadian work permit.
2. Obtain at least 1,560 hours of work experience in Canada under NOC TEER categories 0, 1, 2, or 3.
3. Take up a language test, English or French, with a minimum CLB of 7 for NOC category 0 with one year of work experience and a minimum CLB of 5 for NOC category 2 with at least 3 years of work experience.
4. Enter the Express Entry pool while the IRCC will attempt to process your application for permanent residence within 6 months if you receive an invitation to apply.

How do I apply for Canadian Experience Class?

Here’s the process of transitioning from a temporary foreign worker in Canada to a Canadian permanent resident.

1. Get a Canadian work permit

If you’re among those who are eligible under the International Experience Class (IEC) program or a partner of an international student or worker in Canada, then an open work permit could be an option for you. 

2. Complete at least a year of employment in Canada

To be eligible for the Canadian Experience Class program, you must have at least one full year of employment in Canada.

3. Make sure you fulfill the requirements

Here’s a little “tip tip”: Take up a legit language test, such as the IELTS or CELPIP. You will receive extra credit for proficiency in your second language if you demonstrate some proficiency in both French and English.

4. Create an Express Entry profile

Complete an Express Entry profile on the IRCC website. You must provide personal information along with supporting documents as proof. 

5. Enhance your CRS profile and ranking

If you have obtained an Educational Credential Assessment (ECA) and completed your studies outside of Canada then you are eligible to receive these points. To increase the chance that you will be invited to apply for permanent residence, you should obtain an ECA or upload documentation of your Canadian educational credentials. 

6. Obtain an invitation to apply

You have 60 days to send in a final application. When the IRCC draws from the Express Entry pool, ITAs are distributed.

7. Complete a medical examination, provide background checks for security, and submit an online application

Every applicant for the Canadian Experience Class is examined for possible criminal and medical limitations. You must include proof supporting your application stating the completion of a medical examination by a panel physician recognized by the IRCC.

8. Your online application will be reviewed

The Immigration Officer of Canada will review your online application and inform you if there’s anything else to add to it.

9. Confirm your status as a permanent resident and complete the landing

80 percent of Canadian Experience Class applications are completed in less than six months. A confirmation of permanent residence (COPR) will be given to you if your application is approved.

10. Receive your PR card

After obtaining your status confirmation, you can proceed with applying for your PR card. You can use this card as proof of your Canadian status if you travel outside of the country.


One of the three programs guided by Canada’s Express Entry system is the CEC and If you’re looking for more insights, our team of dedicated immigration experts is here to give you all the information you need about the Canadian Experience Class program. Looking for ways to enrol? Connect with CanApprove, we’d love to hear from you!


1. What is the minimum score for CEC?

The Canadian Experience Class program was an exceptional draw that invited candidates with the lowest score of 75 points.

2. How long does it take to process the Canadian Experience Class?

The processing time for the Canadian Experience Class usually takes 6 months. 

3. Do I need LMIA for a Canadian Experience Class?

If you are invited to the Canadian Experience Class, you don’t need an LMIA to meet the program requirements. 

Moving to Canada: 10 Things to Do in Your First Week

All set to moving to Canada? Well, before you go, make sure to have a checklist of all that we’ve mentioned for you in this blog. This checklist is just to make sure your initial days in Canada are well-organized and hassle-free as a newcomer!

10 Things to Do in Your First Week in Canada

These are some of the things you need to do in your first week moving to Canada as a newbie in Canada!

1. Look for Residence

It’s pretty obvious that even before you could arrive in Canada, you must have booked temporary places to stay. But it’s better to get a place of your own that is budget-friendly as well. House hunting could be exhausting!

However, options for finding a residence are many. You can find property sales, rentals, and much more. Select the best option for your lifestyle and way of life while moving to Canada.

2. Get your Social Insurance Number (SIN) Card

The SIN card has a unique nine-digit number for every individual. It is used as a person’s identifier for work and investments, paying taxes, and accessing government services. You must obtain a SIN card to work in Canada.

You can apply by mail or in person at a Service Canada office to get your SIN card, and don’t forget to take the necessary documents for your application with you.

3. Learn Money management

Managing money and budgeting can be baffling, especially if you’re new to Canada! It is important to learn how to manage money. It helps you budget your expenses, save money, and, most importantly, invest!

But first, learn how to use Canadian currency! Start with the basics by using 50% of your earnings for your needs, 30% for your wants, and 20% for your savings. For easy access, you can also open a bank account to manage your finances.

4. Open a Bank account

It is important to open a bank account in Canada. The best part is that you can open a bank account even if you don’t have funds, income, or a permanent address in Canada. All you have to do is go to a bank and present a valid personal identification.

Having a bank account helps you manage bills, and debit card payments keep your money safe and track your daily transactions.

5. Apply for Government Health insurance or a health card

One of the important things to consider is that you’re in good health. There could be difficulties adapting to the new climate and weather as a newbie in a country you’ve never been to before, especially in a country like Canada!

Apply for a health card if you are qualified in your province or territory. All citizens and permanent residents of Canada are eligible for public health insurance. The requirements to apply may vary according to each province. You can also apply for your health card online.

6. Find settlement services in Canada

The Canadian government provides free settlement services for newcomers in Canada. You can make the best use of the privileges of these free services that the government offers, from childcare to language immersion.

Some of the settlement services that Canada provides are Orientation Programs, Employment Assistance, Housing Assistance, Community Support, and Language Training. Some settlement agencies even offer pre-arrival services before you land in Canada.

7. Apply for a Driver’s License

The commute is one of the major things to think about whilst moving to Canada as a newcomer.  If you’re going to drive a car in Canada, you will have to possess a driver’s license and car insurance.

A driver’s license from your home country may be valid only for a few months, but to get licensed in Canada, you must first pass a written test on your knowledge of Canadian roads and driving rules and pass a practical test on the road.

8. Be Open to Learning and Adapting to Cultural Differences

Settling into a new country could be like walking on thin ice. You could do some exploring by meeting new people and getting to know your neighbors and work colleagues. This could help you build a social circle, get to know people from different cultural backgrounds, and develop a professional network.

You could be a little hesitant to do this! However, you can engage in local community centers and befriend people of similar interests as yours.

9. Enhance Your Language Skills

Whether you’re moving to Canada or any other foreign country, language should never be a barrier that stops you from going to a new country. You should improve your language skills and have good language proficiency.

When it comes to Canada, There are two options, such as French and English. If you’re looking to improve your language skills, the Canadian government offers the Language Instruction for Newcomers to Canada (LINC) program free of charge. You can check with the local settlement agency and enroll in the free program.

10. Explore Job Opportunities

Canada is a country filled with plenty of opportunities, pulling people from all over the world and building a strong economy. As a beginner in the country, it is better to get help from a settlement agency or a career counselor rather than starting on your own.

Unlike other countries,  finding a job in Canada is entirely different. Before you can do some job hunting, make sure you work on enhancing your skills and are ready to take up interviews.


Getting to start a life anew in a foreign place could be overwhelming! Besides undergoing a rollercoaster of emotions, the life you’re about to start will keep you on your toes! Canada being the best destination just makes it easy for you to settle right in!

If you’re looking for assistance, talk to our immigration experts at CanApprove. And let us know if you found this blog useful! We’d love to hear from you!


1. Is Canada’s PR worth it?

Canada is a safe country to settle in. Immigrants with a PR in Canada are given all the rights, from healthcare services to a great quality of life in Canada.

2. What is the best age to move to Canada?

It depends on the pathway you are applying through. Express Entry is Canada’s main skilled worker pathway. Under the Express Entry system, the best age to immigrate to Canada is between 20 and 29 years old.

3. How long is Canada PR valid?

Canada PR is valid for 5 years. Immigrants with a Canada PR can live, work, and study freely and have the privilege of receiving social benefits that Canadian citizens are entitled to.