Skilled Immigration To Canada as an Early Childhood Educator (NOC 4214)


Early Childhood Educator – All you need to know about Canadian immigration!

Canada is open to welcoming nearly 1.2 million new Early Childhood Educator immigrants by 2024. About 60% of the total target will be achieved through economic-class programs through which foreign skilled workers, international students, foreign entrepreneurs are set to become the largest beneficiaries.


In this edition of the career blog, we explore the opportunities and requirements to immigrate as an Early Childhood Educator in Canada.

Career Pathways for Early Childhood Educators in Canada

Early Childhood Educators (Unit Code – 42202) is classified as TEER 2. They are employed in child-care centers, day-care centers, kindergartens, agencies for exceptional children, and other similar settings. The following are the job roles performed by Early Childhood Educators.

  • Early childhood educators plan, organize, and implement programs for children between the ages of infancy and 12.
  • Early childhood educator assistants provide care for infants and preschool- to school-age children under the guidance of early childhood educators.
  • Early childhood educators and assistants lead children to stimulate and develop their intellectual, physical, and emotional growth and ensure their security and well-being.

Some commonly used job titles in the Canadian labour market for Early Childhood Educators are Child care workers – day-care, Nursery school teachers, etc. More related occupations also include:

  • Managers in social, community, and correctional services (00013, TEER 0);
  • Elementary school and kindergarten teachers (41221, TEER 1);

Get in touch with our consultants to determine your eligibility to immigrate as an Early Childhood Educator in Canada.

Education and Training In Canada to become an Early Childhood Educator

Early childhood educators and assistants are regulated everywhere in Canada except New Brunswick, Northwest Territories, and Nunavut. It means that in addition to an assessment of your academic and professional qualifications, you may be required to obtain a license to practice in most provinces in Canada. The licensing tests include:

  • Examination of your knowledge and competencies;
  • Proof of language proficiency;
  • Criminal record check;
  • Canadian work placement.

Early childhood educator (ECE), registered early childhood educator, early childhood educator assistant (ECEA), child care assistant (CCA), child development supervisor, child development worker, and child development assistant are some of the titles and/or certifications used in regulations governing this occupation.

Education/Training Institutes in Nova Scotia

Candidates who have graduated in Canada have even better chances of qualifying for permanent residence.

Diploma Program Training Institutes in Nova Scotia

Region/Area Training Institute
Halifax/Metro Nova Scotia College of Early Childhood Education
Truro/Central Jane Norman College
Cape Brenton/Sydney Island Career Academy
Cape Brenton/Sydney NSCC- Marconi Campus
Annapolis Valley NSCC- Kentville Campus
South Shore/Yarmouth NSCC- Burridge Campus
Northern NSCC – Cumberland

Degree Program Opportunities

Region/Area Training Institute
Halifax/Metro Mount Saint Vincent University, Child and Youth Study

Contact our overseas education counselors to know the admission criteria in each of these institutions.

Canadian Labour Market Information For Early Childhood Educator

Hourly Wage Across Canadian Provinces

Early childhood educators and assistants (42202, TEER 2) usually earn between $14.00/hour and $27.00/hour in Canada. People working as “early childhood education workers” are part of this group.

Canadian Province Hourly Wage ($/hour)
Alberta 17.00
British Columbia 18.00
Manitoba 14.15
New Brunswick 16.00
Newfoundland and Labrador 15.50
Northwest Territories 22.05
Nova Scotia 17.00
Ontario 19.75
Prince Edward Island 16.05
Saskatchewan 15.00
Nunavut 20.88
Yukon Territory 20..82


Employment requirement for Early Childhood Educators in Canada

  • Completing a two- to four-year college program in early childhood education or a bachelor’s degree in child development.
  • Licensing by a provincial or territorial association for early childhood educators (ECE).

Employment Requirement for Early Childhood Educator Assistants in Canada

  • Completion of secondary school.
  • Experience in child care.
  • Licensing by a provincial or territorial association for early childhood educators (ECE).

Take this free assessment online to determine your eligibility for immigration.

Canada PR options for an Early Childhood Educator

Canada offers multiple options for prospective immigration candidates to study, work, and settle permanently.

We’ve listed the top 4 ways for you to migrate to Canada as an early childhood educator:

Express Entry system;

Provincial Nominee Program;

Rural and Northern Immigration Pilot; and

Atlantic Immigration Pilot.

Express Entry System

Immigration, Refugees, and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) manages applications for three federal immigration programs, namely the Federal Skilled Worker Program (FSWP), the Federal Skills Trades Program (FSTP), and the Canada Experience Class (CEC).

Early childhood educators are classified as level B as per the National Occupation List, making them eligible to qualify and apply for any program under the Express entry system.

The points-based system assesses every registered profile on age, education, work experience, and language proficiency in English or French. The evaluated profiles are further ranked following the Comprehensive Ranking System (CRS).

IRCC conducts Express Entry nomination draws every fortnight to issue invitations to apply (ITAs) for permanent residency to the highest-ranking candidates.

Provincial Nominee Program

The job prospects of Early Childhood Educators are extremely demanding in provinces like Manitoba, Nova Scotia, Prince Edward Island, and Yukon Territory.

Other immigration-heavy provinces like Saskatchewan, New Brunswick, Ontario, British Columbia, and Alberta have fair chances of employment as Early Childhood Educators.

Top Canadian Provinces That Need Early Childhood Educators & Assistants 
Province Immigration Stream
Manitoba Manitoba Skilled Worker Overseas Stream
Nova Scotia Labour Market Priorities Stream
Prince Edward Island Express Entry & Labour Impact Categories

Candidates with an active Express Entry profile are at a distinct advantage after securing a provincial nomination. They get 600 additional points summing up with their overall CRS score. This will effectively guarantee them an invitation to apply for permanent residency in subsequent federal draws.

Rural & Northern Immigration Pilot

Foreign skilled workers with a valid job offer in one of the participating communities in Ontario, Manitoba, Saskatchewan, Alberta, and British Columbia can qualify for immigration. Early Childhood Educator as an occupation is in high demand in Manitoba & Saskatchewan. Applying through RNIP may improve your chances of qualification.

Being an employer-specific pilot, applicants must show their intent to live in the community. All other requirements include work experience, language proficiency, minimum education criteria, and proof of financial stability.

Atlantic Immigration Pilot

An extension of RNIP is the Atlantic Immigration Pilot Program (AIPP) which focuses on the immigration of foreign skilled workers in the Atlantic region of Canada. It includes New Brunswick, Newfoundland & Labrador, Nova Scotia, and Prince Edward Island.

Early Childhood Educators are in huge demand in Nova Scotia & Prince Edward Island. Applying through AIP may improve your chances of qualifying.

CRS Calculator

For detailed analysis and to maximize your chances of qualification for Canadian immigration, contact CanApprove.

16 thoughts on “Skilled Immigration To Canada as an Early Childhood Educator (NOC 4214)

  • Sandy
    Luisse Humirang says:

    Good day, I’m enquiring about a skilled migration. I have a Diploma or Early childhood and care from Australia with 5 years of experience. I would like to know more information about living and working in Canada. Thank you.

  • Sandy
    Daisy LOUIS says:

    I have completed my graduation in Bachelor’s of Commere and pursued double Master’s in Finance. But I do have experience as early childhood educator with NOC 4214.I am eligible to apply?.
    If my NOC and education does not match will it be rejected?

  • Sandy

    i am having Master degree in Economics, and currently working as pre primary teacher since 2018.
    and also purusing early childhood course, it will be completed on Jan 2024.
    i am eligible to apply ?

  • Sandy
    Harmanjot Kaur Khaira says:

    HI, I have been recently graduated from Seneca College of applied arts and technology in the field of early childhood education . I am already working as an RECE in daycare in Ontario . From India , I have completed 12th. Due to which I just wanna choose reliable category to get PR in Canada . Can you please suggest me best option for me .

  • Sandy

    I did my certificate 3 in early childhood, diploma im early childhood and diploma in leadership management in Australia. Am I eligible? How can I know about the steps to apply?

  • Sandy

    HI, I have been studying in Northern College of applied arts and technology in the field of early childhood education in Ontario . I am currently doing placement which will be done in December.Can you please suggest me best option for further PR process because I have completed 12th from India . Which province should I need to move ?

  • Sandy
    Ejie May Ojao says:

    I am a graduate of BS in Biology, Professional Course in Education (Certificate in Teaching Program) completer, a Licensed Professional Teacher in the Philippines (Secondary-Science major), Specialized Course in Early Childhood Education (with SPED) completer, with 2 years experience in teaching Preschoolers and currently taking Master of Arts in Education (Science Education major). Currently awaiting a Letter of Acceptance from New Brunswick Community College for 2-year ECE program. Am I eligible in applying as ECEA? How can I apply for a certificate level 1 ? How are my credentials in ECE specialization course be evaluated to get a certificate of ECEA? Thanks.

  • Sandy
    lakshmi Tulasi nadimpalli says:

    hi i am international student from India. i am studying Diploma in early childhood education and also working as supply earlychildhood educator so can i apply for PR now?

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes:

<a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong>

Send Us An Enquiry

Enter your details below and we'll call you back when it suits you.

    [honeypot 953b1362b63bd3ecf68]

    Enquire Now Call Now