Skilled Immigration through Canada PNP is set to become the leading economic class pathway for PR in 2023, accounting for over 100,000 new immigrants annually.
Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) is expected to target 105,500 intakes through Canada Provincial Nominee Programs (PNP) alone. Thereon, the overall Canada PNP targets could increase to 110,000 in 2024 and 117,500 in 2025.
Skilled immigrants in Canada are classified as those immigrants who are invited to work or study in Canada based on their skill levels including work experience and academic records, age, and proficiency in English or French.
While Canada Express Entry remains to be the most preferred direct pathway for Canadian permanent residency (PR) for foreigners, skilled immigration through Canada PNP gives temporary residency status and later, a chance to qualify for PR after gaining some full-time work experience in Canada.
This blog will discuss various provincial streams (currently over 80 country-wide PNP streams) available to qualify for provincial nominations and thereon, apply for Canadian PR.
The British Columbia Provincial Nominee Program (BC PNP) provides provide different immigration pathways for skilled immigrants, which are as follows:
- Skills Immigration Stream: Divided into individual categories for Skilled Workers, Healthcare Professionals, International Graduates, International Post-Graduates, and Entry-Level/Semi-Skilled Workers
- Express Entry British Columbia Stream: Divided into individual categories for Skilled Workers, Healthcare Professionals, International Graduates, and International Post-Graduates only
Ontario is Canada’s most populated province, and most popular for immigration. Here’re the most popular categories within the Ontario Immigrant Nominee Program (OINP) for skilled immigrants to explore.
These categories are:
- Human Capital Category: includes the federal Federal Skilled Workers Program (FSWP) and the Canadian Experience Class (CEC)
- Employer Job Offer Category: includes three distinct programs — the Foreign Worker Stream, a program for International Students, and an In-Demand Skills Stream
Prairie Provinces of Canada
The Alberta Advantage Immigration Program (AAIP) provides different streams for skilled workers who wish to receive a provincial nomination for Canada PR:
- Alberta Opportunity Stream,
- Alberta General Express Entry Stream,
- Alberta Accelerated Tech Pathway, and
- Rural Renewal Stream
Saskatchewan’s Immigrant Nominee Program (SINP) provides skilled immigrants with the following provincial streams:
- International Skilled Worker Category: Includes a Tech Talent Pathway, an Employment Offer Pathway, an Occupations In Demand pathway, and a route for Saskatchewan Express Entry
- Saskatchewan Experience Category: Includes six pathways — for Skilled Workers with a Work Permit, Health Professionals, Hospitality Sector Projects, and Students
Manitoba’s Provincial Nominee Program (MPNP) uses the following pathways to nominate eligible candidates
- Skilled Worker in Manitoba Stream: Includes a Manitoba Work Experience Pathway and an Employer Direct Recruitment Pathway
- Skilled Worker Overseas Stream: Includes a Manitoba Express Entry Pathway and a Human Capital Pathway
- International Education Stream: Includes a Career Employment Pathway, a Graduate Internship Pathway, and an International Student Entrepreneur Pathway
Atlantic Provinces of Canada
Apart from the Atlantic Immigration Program, which is an employer-driven stream to invite eligible foreign immigrants with necessary work experience to settle in one of four Atlantic provinces and eventually, qualify for Canada PR, here are individual Canada PNP from Atlantic provinces:
Newfoundland and Labrador
Various streams for skilled immigration through Newfoundland and Labrador’s Provincial Nominee Program (NLPNP) are as follows:
- Newfoundland and Labrador Express Entry Skilled Worker: For skilled workers with an existing job offer and an Express Entry profile through IRCC
- Skilled Worker Category: For skilled workers with a job offer, including candidates who are already in the province with a valid work permit
- International Graduate Category: For recent graduates who have obtained both a post-graduate work permit and a job offer
New Brunswick Provincial Nominee Program (NBPNP) offers different provincial routes like
- Skilled Workers Stream: For candidates with an existing full-time, permanent job offer
- Strategic initiative Stream: for Francophone workers who desire to reside and work in New Brunswick permanently and have the skills, education, and work experience to contribute to the province
Prince Edward Island
Canada’s smallest province, here are different streams available through the Prince Edward Island Provincial Nominee Program (PEI PNP):
- PEI PNP Express Entry: For candidates with a valid Express Entry profile
- Labour Impact Category: Includes a Skilled Worker Stream, a Critical Worker Stream, and an International Graduate Stream
Canada’s second smallest, here are different streams available through the Nova Scotia Provincial Nominee Program (NSNP):
- Nova Scotia Experience: Express Entry
- Nova Scotia Labour Market Priorities
- Nova Scotia Labour Market Priorities for Physicians
- Skilled Worker Stream
- Occupation In-Demand Stream
- International Graduates In-Demand Stream
- Physician Stream
Yukon’s version of the PNP is called the Yukon Nominee Program (YNP), and it has the following streams for skilled immigration:
- Yukon Express Entry: For candidates with existing full-time and permanent employment offers
- Skilled Worker: For candidates sponsored by a local employer for Canadian permanent residence
- Critical Impact Worker: For semi-skilled or unskilled candidates sponsored by an employer in a high-demand occupation
- Yukon Community Pilot: For already-nominated candidates, allowing them to work for multiple employers simultaneously
The Northwest Territories Nominee Program (NTNP) contains different provincial programs that invite eligible foreigners to apply for provincial nominations:
- Express Entry System for Skilled Workers: For candidates that have received an offer of employment in a skilled position and have already worked in that position for at least six months
- Entry Level/Semi-Skilled Occupations: For candidates that have already worked in an entry-level position for at least 6 months and the territory deems capable of helping fill entry-level employment shortages
Skilled Immigration Through Canada PNP
Immigration in Canada is the process of obtaining permanent residency.
Any eligible foreigner with an adequate skill level will receive an invitation to apply for provincial nominations from 80+ PNP streams.
Provincial nominations act as an eligibility certificate for temporary residence status in a particular province that opens the doors to qualify for Canadian permanent residency.
A successful provincial nomination ensures 600 additional Comprehensive Ranking System (CRS) points, making skilled immigration through Canada PNP extremely attractive.
Once an invitation to apply (ITA) for Canadian permanent residency is received, the next step is to pass a medical exam and get a police check. Once the candidate is approved by IRCC, they can complete their permanent residence landing in Canada.
Take this free assessment online to determine your eligibility.
Visiting a Consultant for Skilled Immigration to Canada
Circumstances for applying for or accepting provincial nominations vary for each candidate. The best recommendation is to research thoroughly and then visit a certified Canadian immigration consultant. It will help make an informed choice on what works best for your situation, budget, and timeframe.
CanApprove is a recognized immigration consultant in Dubai and certified by the College of Immigration and Citizenship Consultants (CICC). We have been successfully providing immigration and overseas education services for the last 25+ years and still counting.
Book your free appointment with CanApprove to kick-start your journey and determine the most suitable immigration pathway based on your academic profile and work experience.