Trends Surrounding Canadian Citizenship For Immigrants: Analysis By Statistics Canada 

Trends Surrounding Canadian Citizenship For Immigrants: Analysis By Statistics Canada 

“A portrait of citizenship in Canada from the 2021 census” report from Statistics Canada got released recently. The report throws light on trends surrounding Canadian citizenship for immigrants based on the latest 2021 census data.

Citizenship in Canada is acquired by birth or by naturalization which is the path for immigrants. 

The majority population (91.2%) were citizens, either by birth or by naturalization. The remaining 8.8% of the population were either permanent residents or temporary residents, and categorized as non-Canadians. 

Some encouraging trends for immigrants in Canada are observed here. 

Since 1991, the proportion of the Canadian population who are citizens by birth has decreased, while the proportion of naturalized Canadian citizens have increased. 

Additionally, the number of immigrant population in Canada has increased over the last three decades to a current Canada population level of 23% and is expected to reach 34% by 2041

More and More Immigrants Qualify for Citizenship as Time Passes

The naturalization rate which was 87.8% in 2011 has dropped down to 80% in 2021. 

While the last ten years have seen a decline in the rate of naturalization, more non-Canadians end up obtaining citizens if they increased the time spent in the country.

For example, nearly 94% had obtained Canadian citizenship by 2021 who landed in Canada before 2001. While just about 50% qualified for citizenship who landed from 2011-2015. 

Further, the report is optimistic about Asia being the key source region of not just immigrants, but also future Canadian citizens.

If you’re an Asian, take this free assessment online to explore suitable Canadian immigration programs based on your work experience and academic qualification. 

Plan your Canada Immigration with CanApprove

The report found the median age of Canadian citizens was 41.2 years of age as compared to the median age of non-Canadian citizens living in Canada (temporary or permanent residents) was 33.6 years.

Canada will look to address labour shortages and market needs through immigration in the coming years. Canada is keen on overcoming its aging demography and low birth rate through immigration. 

This is evident from its newly announced Immigration Levels Plan. Canada is targeting 465,000 new immigrants in 2023 and will increase the annual target over 500,000 new immigrants in 2025. 

It is advised to visit a certified immigration consultant to improve your chances of qualifying for Canadian immigration. CanApprove is a certified by the College of Immigration and Citizenship Consultants (CICC). 

Book a one-on-one appointment with us to plan your immigration or study abroad specific to your work experience and academic qualifications and interests.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes:

<a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong>

Send Us An Enquiry

Enter your details below and we'll call you back when it suits you.

    [honeypot 953b1362b63bd3ecf68]

    Enquire Now Call Now