International students, permanent residents may now travel to Canada

International students travel options

International students, approved permanent residents and other persons exempt from travel ban may now travel to Canada, it has been informed. Canada imposed travel restrictions in the wake of COVID-19 outbreak.

Canada’s Immigration Ministry has released information on the persons who are exempt from the travel ban as well as the documents they need to submit to the airlines. Airlines flying to Canada will have the authority to accept or deny boarding of a person.

International students travel options
International students travel options

The international students traveling to Canada must produce a valid study permit or must have already enrolled or accepted at a Designated Educational Institution (DEI) in Canada before the travel restrictions came into place. They also need to self-identify to the airlines before boarding by submitting proofs such as a valid study permit or letter of introduction issued by the government on or before March 18, 2020.

Permanent residents who have already made the arrangements to move to Canada permanently before the imposition of travel restrictions may also travel to the country. They must self-identify at the airport check-ins and provide a proof of status, which can be a permanent resident visa or a Confirmation of Permanent Residence (COPR) document.

Temporary foreign workers who were already in Canada or who had made arrangements to come to the country before the travel restrictions were imposed are also allowed to travel to Canada now.

Exemptions for family members

The immediate family members of Canadian citizens and permanent residents are already exempt from travel ban. Now foreign nationals whose immediate family members are residing in Canada as a worker, visitor, student or protected person are also allowed to travel to Canada.

An immediate family member is:

  • Spouse/common-law partner
  • Dependent children, and children of spouses/common-law partners
  • Dependent children of dependent children of either the Canadian resident or their spouse/ common-law partner
  • Parents or step-parents
  • A parent’s or step-parent’s spouse or common-law partner
  • A guardian or tutor

The dependent children must be 21 years of age or below or they must be financially dependent on parents because of disability. Adult children may also be exempted if they submit an official letter to confirm that they are travelling to Canada in order to reunite with their family.

Documents to prove the family member’s status in Canada

  • Canadian passport
  • Proof of Canadian citizenship such as a (citizenship certificate, citizenship card or provincial or territorial birth certificate)
  • Canada PR card
  • Canada permanent resident travel document (visa counterfoil)
  • Visa-exempt foreign passport and IRCC Special Authorization for Canadian Citizens

Documents to prove relationship with family member:

  • Marriage/common-law status certificate
  • Birth certificate
  • Confirmation of Permanent Residence (COPR) for the family class or under the one-year window
  • Other documents supporting an immediate family connection

Canada is all set to welcome more immigrants, despite the impact of COVID-19. If you wish to migrate to Canada, start your preparations now. Contact us to know more.

Send Us An Enquiry

Enter your details below and we'll call you back when it suits you.

    [honeypot 953b1362b63bd3ecf68]

    Enquire Now Call Now