Canada has a history of immigration which significantly contributed to Canada’s economic output, the standard of living, and its presence on the world stage.
Even in the middle of a global war, not for border conflicts but against a virus, the economy of Canada is undoubtedly disrupted. But thanks to its active immigration system even during the first outbreak of the pandemic, green shoots are visible.
Where major western countries that welcome a huge number of migrants annually on work, business, student visas shut delayed their immigration programs indefinitely, Canada understood the importance of keeping its immigration levels high.
As they say, the proof of the pudding is in the eating,
- Canada stuck to its Express Entry & various other Provincial Nominee Program (PNP) draws for permanent residence even during the first travel restrictions. In fact, IRCC went on to issue the highest number of ITAs for Canada PR in a single year through the Express Entry system.
- Canada went on to unveil its new Immigration Levels Plan for 2021-2023 which aims at welcoming over 1,200,000 new immigrants over the next three years. About 60% of the total target will come from economic-class programs. Foreign skilled workers, business entrepreneurs, international students will be its top beneficiaries.
- Canada’s liberal government headed by Justin Trudeau wrote a new mandate letter to his fellow Immigration Minister Merco Mendicino, stressing the need to improve immigration to Canada in the post-pandemic world order.
- Canada is also focussing on regional area development by advancing its Rural and Northern Immigration Pilot. It allows smaller and more isolated communities in Canada to nominate immigrants to work and settle in these places.
- Canada PNP programs are not left behind as they continue to expand their scope of nominating more foreigners to work & settle in the province. For instance, Alberta has recently started a new entrepreneur immigration option for International Graduates.
- Family Immigration to Canada is also expected to gain momentum in 2021.
- Various reports and surveys including the WES report show an increase in interest for immigration to Canada despite the travel restrictions still in place.
Further, Immigration Minister was seen active throughout the initial phase of the travel restrictions due to pandemics. He expressed his views on various platforms time and again, summarizing his government’s intention to continue to welcome more immigrants. In one of his public appearances, he mentioned:
“Immigration is essential … to our short-term economic recovery and our long-term economic growth … newcomers create jobs not just by giving our businesses the skills they need to thrive, but also by starting businesses themselves.”
The Immigration Department is also focused on replacing Paper-based applications with long, drawn-out processes to make way for digital and much faster processing.
A look at all the nominations draws in January 2021 will definitely raise the hopes of aspiring immigrants. With over 13,000 invitations to eligible candidates being issued in a single month through various economic-class programs, the future of Canadian immigration is definitely bright.
If immigration to Canada is in your mind, talk to a licensed immigration consultant like CanApprove. Book your appointment with us today.