Quebec stands out from the rest of the Canadian provinces and territories for its unique history and culture, which is a blend of French and Canadian. It has a special status by the federal system of Canada and has been given special provisions and authority to protect its distinct culture and French language.
Unlike other Canadian provinces and territories, Quebec has its own immigration system, pathways and criteria for selecting immigrants. It also has its own processes for selecting the candidates. While the province is responsible for selecting the candidates for immigration, the federal government is responsible for admitting them. The candidates selected by Quebec will receive a Certificat de sélection du Québec (CSQ) or Quebec Selection Certificate with which, they may apply for permanent residence in Canada.
Quebec Selection Certificate
In order to obtain a Quebec Selection Certificate, you must apply under one of the immigration programs of the province of Quebec. Quebec Selection Certificate/certificat de sélection du Québec (CSQ) is issued by the Ministère de l’Immigration, de la Francisation et de l’Intégration (Ministry of Immigration, Francization, and Integration, or MIFI) of Quebec and it declares that the candidate has been selected to settle in Quebec. With the CSQ, the candidate can apply for permanent residence in Canada. The validity of CSQ is 24 months or until a decision is made by the Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) on the permanent residence application.
Quebec Immigration Programs
Following are the major Quebec immigration programs for foreign workers:
Quebec Regular Skilled Worker Program (RSWP)
Quebec Regular Skilled Worker Program or RSWP allows foreign candidates with skilled work experience to settle in Quebec. To be eligible to apply for Quebec Selection Certificate or CSQ under the Regular Skilled Worker Program, a candidate must score the required minimum score on the RSWP point assessment grid. If they have sufficient points, they can submit an Expression of Interest (EoI) on the Arrima Portal. Arrima Portal is an online platform for managing applications from foreign workers who wish to apply for Quebec Selection Certificate under Regular Skilled Worker Program.
These Expressions of Interest will be assessed on the basis of various human capital factors such as age, education, work experience etc., and given a score. Those with the highest scores will receive an invitation from the Quebec government to apply for a certificat de sélection du Québec (CSQ – Québec selection certificate). In order to invite candidates, Quebec government will conduct Arrima draws on a regular basis. The number of candidates being invited will depend on various factors such as the annual admission target and processing capacity of Quebec’s immigration department.
The chances of a candidate receiving an invitation will also depend on factors such as the candidate having a job offer, occupations being targeted at the time of the draw and the candidate’s eligibility score. Once the candidate receives a Quebec Selection Certificate, they can apply for permanent residence in Canada.
Eligibility requirements for RSWP
For RSWP, the eligibility of a candidate is assessed on the basis of following factors:
- Work experience
- Proficiency in French and English
- Study or work experience in Quebec
- Family members residing Quebec
- Job offer
- Spouse’s credentials
- Proven ability to financially establish in Quebec
Quebec Experience Program
The Quebec Experience Program or Programme de l’expérience québécoise(PEQ) allows foreign graduates and temporary workers in Quebec obtain Quebec selection certificate in a fast-track manner. The aim of the program is to make sure that the province is able to benefit from the contribution of those who are already living in the province and integrated to the Quebec community.
PEQ is a great option for those candidates who are fluent in French and are already working in Quebec with a temporary work permit. Also, the applications to this Program are processed within six months. The PEQ candidates are supposed to submit the application, pay the fee and upload the required documents via the Arrima Portal.
The application process for PEQ involves the following steps:
1. Create a profile on Arrima Portal
2. Submit the complete application along with supporting documents
3. Pay the processing fees
Eligibility criteria for foreign workers
- Prove that they have stayed in Quebec as a temporary worker
- Demonstrate their intention to settle in Quebec
- They must have at least 24 months of full-time work experience obtained within the 36 months preceding the submission of application.
- They must have had a legal status while staying in Canada as a temporary worker
- They must be employed at the time of submission of application
- Prove their proficiency in French language, which should be equal to Level 7
- Spouses of principal applicants must also have spoken proficiency in French
Eligibility requirements for Quebec graduates
- French language proficiency equal to Level 7
- Legally residing in Quebec at the time of submitting the application
- Proof of settlement funds
- The candidate must have obtained a degree or diploma from a recognized post-secondary institution in Quebec within 36 months before submitting the application
- The duration of the studies must be at least 2 years
- Must have at least one year’s work experience in a job classified under NOC 0, A or B.
Permanent immigration pilot program for workers in food processing
Quebec launched this program on March 24, 2021 and it will end on January 1, 2026. To be eligible for this program, a candidate must meet the following requirements:
- Prove their proficiency in spoken French
- Work experience in Quebec
- Be working in Quebec in an eligible occupation at the time of submitting their application
Permanent immigration pilot program for orderlies
This program was launched by the Quebec government on March 31, 2021 and it will close on January 1, 2026.
To be eligible, candidates must meet the following requirements:
- Prove their proficiency in spoken French
- Have work experience as an orderly in Quebec
- Must be working as an orderly in Quebec while submitting the application.
Permanent immigration pilot program for workers in the artificial intelligence, information technologies and visual effects sectors
This pilot program was launched on April 22, 2021 and will be closed on January 1, 2026. A person can apply for CSQ under this program if, they are:
- A foreign worker or a Quebec graduate in artificial intelligence
- A foreign worker in information technologies and visual effects
Eligibility requirements include:
- Proficiency in spoken French, if you are submitting the application as a Francophone
- A job or job offer in artificial intelligence, information technologies or visual effects in Quebec
Do you wish to know more about migrating to Canada? Talk to the Canada immigration experts of CanApprove. Contact us now!
Find your CRS score now!
Get in Touch
Just a few steps to get it started!