Canada has the potential to match up to the US in becoming the next Tech supergiant. A study released by the Centre for Security and Emerging Technology has named Canada as the best country to immigrate for Artificial Intelligence(AI) and information technology professionals among US, Australia, the UK and France.
The public confidence in Canada on immigration is high which also reflects well across the immigration policies. For instance,
- the processing time for work permits is less in Canada. It would take only 2-8 weeks while in the other countries, one has to wait for several months for getting a work visa.
- Canada also issues work permits throughout the year, while in the US, applicants must wait for the annual lottery.
- Besides, Canada is the only country that allows workers with a visa or work permit to apply for permanent residence right away.
- The country does not have a cap on length of stay for temporary foreign workers and it is usually determined by the employer.
Different Ways To Immigrate To Canada as a IT Professional
Some of the top technology occupations among immigrants in Canada include Computer Engineer, Computer Programmer, Software Engineer, Software Developer, IT Project Manager, etc.
#1 Express Entry Option
Express Entry is a federal application management system. The system manages a pool of registered candidates willing to migrate to Canada under three federal immigration programs: Federal Skilled Workers Program (FSWP), Canada Experience Class (CEC) and the Federal Skilled Trades Program (FSTP).
Express Entry candidates are scored using the Comprehensive Ranking System. It includes evaluating profiles using age, education, work experience and language requirements in English or French. They are assessed on a total score of 1200 points.
The Federal Skilled Worker Program is the most popular Canadian Immigration Program among International Trained professionals and experienced workers. If your skills and experience qualify you as a federal skilled worker, IRCC will also assess you on six selection factors.
If you score 67 points or higher (out of 100), you may qualify to immigrate to Canada as a federal skilled worker.
The Canada Experience Class is another popular Canada PR program among graduates and skilled workers having at least one year of work experience in Canada.
As a matter of fact, Express Entry is on its path to issue over 100,000 invitations in a single year for permanent residence in Canada. This points out to more demand for immigrants than ever in Canada.
Take this free online assessment to determine your eligibility to immigrate as an IT professional in Canada.
#2 Provincial Nominee Programs
Getting admission into Canada through Provincial Nominee Program (PNPs) is essentially a two-step process.
- In the first step, you explore, decide in which among the 13 provinces or territories would you want to settle in. Simultaneously, you must fulfil all the specific requirements of various PNPs.
Additionally, here are the links to official website of each PNP:
|Newfoundland and Labrador
|Prince Edward Island
|B.C. Tech Pilot / Ontario Tech Draws
- Wait for the respective province or territory to nominate you in one of their PNP draws. On receiving an invitation to apply for a provincial nomination, you can approach ICCRC with an application to apply for permanent residence in Canada
At the end of both the stages, you may need an ICCRC-registered consultant like CanApprove to make you aware of Canadian Immigration laws and guide you throughout the process.
#3 Tech Immigration Programs
The inherent advantage of some provinces like Ontario, British Columbia to host top IT firms in Canada, their provincial programs offer an expedited immigration pathway for people with tech skills, ie. Tech Immigration Programs, applying to be permanent Canadian residents.
Ontario Tech Draws target specific category of Tech occupations like:
- NOC 0213- Computer and information systems managers
- NOC 2147- Computer engineers
- NOC 2172- Database analysts and data administrators
- NOC 2173- Software engineers and designers
- NOC 2174- Computer programmer and interactive media developers
- NOC 2175- Web designers and developers
Whereas B.C Tech Pilot targets 29 occupations as specified by the province.
Canada also offers supportive policies for employers to match their worker’s demands by expediting the immigration of foreign professionals. Through the Global Talent Stream, Canada offers work visas for international tech workers within just two weeks.
Follow all the latest updates from Canada PNP here.
Average Employment Income for IT Professionals in Canada 2020
Immigrants in Canada, especially through the Express Entry system, are paid at par with native Canadians. Likewise, the average salary for any IT professionals in Canada for the year 2020 is noted to be around CAD 71,066 per annum.
Below tabulated are average employment income for IT professionals in Canada province-wise:
The indicated figures are only a representation of how much an immigrant can expect to earn in Canada. In no way, the figures are exact. The salary package will most likely depend on your employer and your skill set.
“But one thing is definitely clear here: Canada offers better bargaining power in the labour market even for immigrants…“
Schedule your appointment with our consultants to further discuss your immigration prospects in Canada.
For More Details: