Working in Canada Just Got Better as More Jobs Open for Foreigners & Qualify for Immigration

Work in Canada

There are more than 100 different legal pathways to start working in Canada and qualify to apply for Canada immigration after just about a year. Canadian employers hire hundreds of thousands of international workers every year through more than 100 different work permit pathways. With a high number of job vacancies and a relatively low unemployment rate in Canada, there are more jobs open than there are qualified workers to fill them.


According to Statistics Canada, for every 100 positions in December, Canadian employers sought to fill an average of 5.2 vacancies, up from 3 in the fourth quarter of 2019.

Recruiting foreign talent is the most effective way for Canadian employers to fill these increased vacancies.

In this blog, we will discuss the difference between the two biggest categories of Canada work permit programs, and how to qualify for Canada immigration via work permits.

Qualify for Apply for Canada Immigration via Work Permits

Canada immigration is about qualifying for permanent residency. You can make a stronger case for yourself to immigrate by securing a work permit in Canada. After gaining at least one year of full-time work experience, you can qualify for permanent residency via Express Entry under Canada Experience Class (CEC) program.

LMIA and LMIA-Exempt Permits for Working in Canada

Any foreigner who is a student or professional needs a legal permit in order to work in Canada. In most cases, a Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA), or a labor market test, is conducted in order to hire a foreign worker. This shows that native Canadians are not competent to fulfil the vacancy.

Keeping in mind the impact of the pandemic, Canada has exempted the LMIA requirement for the majority of work permits issued in a given year. Currently, legal permits for working in Canada can be grouped under two major categories:

  • the Temporary Foreign Worker Program (TFWP), and
  • the International Mobility Program (IMP).

The major difference between the two is that the TFWP requires employers to get an LMIA, whereas IMP work permits are LMIA-exempt.

Here’s an interesting blog post on How To Find a Job in Your Profession in Canada?

Work Permits Options in Canada

After securing a copy of LMIA conducted by the Canadian employers, the foreign workers can submit their work permit application under TFWP to Immigration, Refugees, and Citizenship Canada (IRCC).

Whereas all open work permits fall under the IMP. Here are some popular IMP permit options:

  • Post-Graduation Work Permit: The PGWP is the most common work permit under the IMP. Eligible international graduates of Canadian designated learning institutions (e.g., colleges and universities) can get this open work permit for up to three years.
  • International Experience Canada: Canada has bilateral agreements with more than 30 countries that allow international youth to gain work experience in Canada.
  • Bridging Open Work Permit: Eligible skilled worker candidates living in Canada can apply for a BOWP while their permanent residence application is being processed. Eligible spouses and common-law partners of Canadian citizens and permanent residents can get a BOWP if they are living in Canada.
  • Business Visitors: Foreign workers who will be in Canada for less than six months and who will not be entering the labor market, can be eligible to work in Canada without needing a work permit.

You may be interested in reading our previous blogs on What Next After Your PGWP Expires?

Contact Certified Canadian Immigration Consultants to Get Started

The government recommends anyone willing to immigrate directly apply for Canada immigration through the official portal. However, looking at the magnanimity of the situation, Canada recognizes few registered & certified Canada immigration consultants to assist aspirants in documentation purposes to study, work or settle.

Veronica Moye, the President of CanApprove is a regulated Canadian Immigration Consultant (ICCRC License #R422511) and a licensed education & legal consultant. You can avail of various services offered by CanApprove like

  • Pre-departure and Post-arrival immigration services
  • Resume writing help and review
  • IELTS Language assessment
  • Job search assistance
  • Visa Interview practice

Take this free assessment online to determine your eligibility to qualify for Canadian immigration via Work permits.

Check Your CRS Scores

Book your free appointment with us and kick-start your immigration journey to Canada.

One thought on “Working in Canada Just Got Better as More Jobs Open for Foreigners & Qualify for Immigration

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes:

<a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong>

Send Us An Enquiry

Enter your details below and we'll call you back when it suits you.

    [honeypot 953b1362b63bd3ecf68]

    Enquire Now Call Now