How Work Experience can make you eligible for Canada PR under Express Entry?

Experience can make you eligible for Canada PR

Immigrating to Canada is simple.

Canada is the only G7 country to offer a direct permanent residence (PR) pathway. The Express Entry system contributes significantly to Canada PR intakes annually.

Canada immigration news

It is a federally managed database of foreign skilled worker applicants willing to settle in Canada permanently. They are selected mainly based on their overall work experience, language proficiency in English or French, education qualification, and age.

Our focus in this blog would be to determine how your work experience can make you eligible for Canada PR even without having a job offer in Canada.

Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) assesses your work experience based on how much education is required to do your job.

As a thumb rule, the more education and experience it takes to work in your position, the higher your occupational skill level will be.

Canada currently analyzes a job’s skill level – 0 (management jobs), A (professional jobs), B (technical jobs) using the 2016 National Occupational Classification (NOC) under the Express Entry system.

Immigration, Refugees, and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) consider “full-time” to be equal to 30 hours per week. Over one year, this adds up to be 1,560 hours. You can meet this requirement by working full-time for a year or part-time.

IRCC does not count any hours you worked above 30 hours per week. So, you cannot become eligible faster for working more hours.

All work experience for the purposes of an Express Entry-managed program must be paid. Volunteer work and unpaid internships do not count.

Work Experience for Federal Skilled Worker Program

FSWP is the most popular permanent residence pathway among foreign skilled immigrants without a job offer or work experience in Canada under the Express Entry system.

Candidates needs to meet minimum work experience, language proficiency, and education requirements. You need to score at least 67 out of 100 in order to pass. At least 15 of these points come from work experience.

Experience  Maximum 15 points
1 year 9
2-3 years 11
4-5 years 13
6 or more years 15

Self-employment in Canada does not count towards work experience. You can also get an additional 10 points for “adaptability” if you have at least one year of full-time, skilled work experience in Canada.

Work Experience for Canadian Experience Class

In order to meet the work experience requirement, you need to have worked full time for at least one year in Canada in a skilled occupation. This work experience may have been completed anytime within the three years before you apply for permanent residency through the CEC.

Unfortunately, self-employed work or work that you did while studying in Canada does not count.

Canada rejigs NOC for new occupations

Canada is changing its National Occupation Classification (NOC) system to Training, Education, Experience and Responsibilities (TEER) categories.

In the new TEER system, there will be six skill levels instead of five. Instead of skill levels 0, A, B, C, and D, there will be 0, 1, 2, 3, 4, and 5. There will be 516 occupations in the new classification system, up from 500 in the current edition.

Take this free assessment online to determine your eligibility.

Check Your CRS Scores

Book your free appointment with CanApprove to check whether your job will count for points in the Express Entry system before you apply.

2 thoughts on “How Work Experience can make you eligible for Canada PR under Express Entry?

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes:

<a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong>

Send Us An Enquiry

Enter your details below and we'll call you back when it suits you.

    [honeypot 953b1362b63bd3ecf68]

    Enquire Now Call Now